News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2015, 10:33:49 AM

Regarding your second point.  Are you really going to try to argue that the concern over exploitation in an incestuous relationship isn't valid?

I think that his argument was that it's a post hoc justification for laws against incest (and, FWIW, I think that he's right on that point).  That doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a valid concern.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 09, 2015, 08:13:35 PM
At least two county clerks in Kentucky are refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.  :mad:

FYI these two counties are in hick parts of the state and nowhere near me.  The county clerks in the counties I live and work in are complying with the law. :)

I understand that now there is a clear SCOTUS ruling, gay couples in situation like this could sue the state for damage. Is this right?

Lettow77

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2015, 10:07:45 PM
Their holdout was as successful as their namesake's tenure as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
.   :lol: :thumbsup:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

QuoteKentucky Gov. to Defiant Clerk: License Same-Sex Marriages or Resign
Clerk Casey Davis says his Christian beliefs won't allow him to serve same-sex couples, but Gov. Steve Beshear says he must do his job.
BY TRUDY RING
JULY 09 2015 3:43 PM ET

Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has told a county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples that he should serve all qualified couples or give up his job — but the clerk remains defiant.

Beshear gave that message to Casey County Clerk Casey Davis in a private meeting today, the Lexington Herald-Leader reports. Davis, who claims his Christian beliefs won't allow him to license same-sex marriages, had requested the meeting with the governor earlier this week.

"I advised Mr. Davis that I respect his right to his own personal beliefs regarding same-sex marriages," said a statement released by the governor. "However, when he was elected, he took a constitutional oath to uphold the United States Constitution. According to the United States Supreme Court, the Constitution now requires that governmental officials in Kentucky and elsewhere must recognize same-sex marriages as valid and allow them to take place."

Davis, however, told reporters at the capitol that his position hasn't changed. He won't issue licenses to same-sex couples, and he also won't resign. He recognizes that he could be sued or charged with official misconduct, but said, "I'm going to trust in the Lord with all my heart." He had suggested earlier that the state relieve county clerks of the duty of issuing marriage licenses by setting up an online system, but some legal experts pointed out that would make it difficult to verify some information concerning couples' eligibility to marry.

Beshear also said he won't call a special session of the legislature to deal with marriage equality, as some clerks, lawmakers, and right-wing activists had urged him to do. Such a session would be a waste of taxpayer money, he said. All but two or three county clerks in Kentucky are issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, he noted, adding, "The courts and the voters will deal appropriately with the rest."

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis has shut down all marriage operations because of her opposition to same-sex unions, and she is facing a lawsuit brought by four couples through the American Civil Liberties Union's Kentucky affiliate. A gay couple denied a license at her office Monday recorded video of the encounter, which has since gone viral, with more than 1.2 million views on YouTube at press time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 10, 2015, 02:29:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2015, 10:07:45 PM
Their holdout was as successful as their namesake's tenure as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
.   :lol: :thumbsup:

I thought you might like that :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 09, 2015, 10:33:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2015, 10:33:49 AM

Regarding your second point.  Are you really going to try to argue that the concern over exploitation in an incestuous relationship isn't valid?

I think that his argument was that it's a post hoc justification for laws against incest (and, FWIW, I think that he's right on that point).  That doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a valid concern.

His point was that it was a post hoc argument developed after it was determined, according to him, that there were no adverse genetic affects from daughters being impregnated by their fathers.  Do you agree that prior to that there was no concern that fathers might exploit their daughters?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 02:13:22 AM
I understand that now there is a clear SCOTUS ruling, gay couples in situation like this could sue the state for damage. Is this right?
QuoteACLU Of Kentucky Files Class Action Suit Against Rowan County And Its Clerk

The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky has filed a lawsuit on behalf of four Rowan County couples, two same-gender couples and two opposite-gender couples, denied marriage licenses by County Clerk Kim Davis, a press release from the ACLU confirms.

Davis is standing firm on her decision to stop issuing marriage licenses, despite dozens of protesters who gathered outside the courthouse.

"My conscience will not allow me to issue a license for a same sex couple," says Kim Davis, "because I know that God ordained marriage from the very foundation of this world to be between a man and a woman."

In explaining the ACLU's decision to file suit on the couples' behalf, ACLU of Kentucky Cooperating Attorney Laura Landenwich stated, "Ms. Davis has the absolute right to believe whatever she wants about God, faith, and religion, but as a government official who swore an oath to uphold the law, she cannot pick and choose who she is going to serve, or which duties her office will perform based on her religious beliefs."

The couples named in the suit are April Miller & Karen Roberts, Shantel Burke & Stephen Napier, Jody Fernandez & Kevin Holloway, and L. Aaron Skaggs & Barry W. Spartman.

In explaining why obtaining a marriage license in Rowan County, as opposed to a neighboring county is important, Plaintiff Aaron Skaggs stated, "We have been citizens of Rowan County since the beginning of our relationship and love being members of this community.   So, it only makes sense that we would want and should be granted our right to be recognized as a loving couple having freedom to marry here at home."

Davis says she decided to oppose the Supreme Court ruling on same sex marriage after prayer and fasting. She says anyone who wants to get a marriage license must do so in another county. The Lawrence County Clerk, though, tells LEX 18 that he's backing down and will now issue same sex marriage licenses.

So conversing with the voices in her head and dieting (which IIRC is something she desperately needed to do anyway) led her to the conclusion that she is right and the SCOTUS is wrong.  :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote"because I know that God ordained marriage from the very foundation of this world to be between a man and a woman."

Little remembered fact.  Adam and Eve were never married.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:46:02 AM
Quote"because I know that God ordained marriage from the very foundation of this world to be between a man and a woman."

And who did their kids marry?  :hmm:

Not sure this clerk wants folks to follow *their* example ... [checks location of clerk] ... oh, never mind.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Syt

So has she issued licenses adulterers, divorcees, thieves, etc.? Or was that A-OK in her book?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 09:50:37 AM

Not sure this clerk wants folks to follow *their* example ... [checks location of clerk] ... oh, never mind.  ;)

:lol:

Marti is about to argue again for legalization of incest in 5... 4.... 3....

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 09:55:00 AM
So has she issued licenses adulterers, divorcees, thieves, etc.? Or was that A-OK in her book?

Sure. She is a Christian and thus filled with forgiveness and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 09:50:37 AM

The girls married the "sons of God" and gave birth to Nephilim.  Of course.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson