Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

If it makes YOU feel better Mart, almost all county clerks in Kentucky are issuing marriage licenses to gays, including the Jefferson County clerk (Louisville), Shelby County (where I live), and Spencer County (where I used to live, and where I happen to know the county clerk very well).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2015, 09:56:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2015, 08:01:29 AM
Oh she is elected. I was wondering why she wasn't fired.

Gotta be impeached, but the county prosecutor is contemplating filing charges of contempt and official misconduct, IIRC.
She'll need to be put in prison, because if they just fine her some Christian wackadoo group or another will just pay the fine for her and she'll continue resisting.

Syt

Does someone in her position swear to obey and enact the laws of the United States? If yes, what are the normal consequences if she refuses to do so?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 01, 2015, 10:19:27 AM
Does someone in her position swear to obey and enact the laws of the United States? If yes, what are the normal consequences if she refuses to do so?
Yes, she does.  I don't know if there are 'normal' consequences as this is a highly abnormal situation... though sadly I bet there are similar examples from the 1960s where county clerks refused to issue licenses to interracial couples.

The Brain

Interracial gay marriage is still illegal, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

The oath she took does not include model text about the laws of the United States, but it does require her to "not
knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the
duties of [her] office without favor, affection or partiality..."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=21176

The prosecutors are considering official misconduct charges have charged her with official misconduct, which would carry jail time regardless of whether she gets the felony or misdemeanor flavor: http://www.towleroad.com/2015/08/kim-davis-misconduct/

The applicable text of the charge:

Quote from: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=19888522.020 Official misconduct in the first degree.
(1) A public servant is guilty of official misconduct in the first degree when, with intent
to obtain or confer a benefit or to injure another person or to deprive another person
of a benefit, he knowingly:
(a) Commits an act relating to his office which constitutes an unauthorized
exercise of his official functions; or
(b) Refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent
in the nature of his office;
or
(c) Violates any statute or lawfully adopted rule or regulation relating to his
office.
(2) Official misconduct in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
Effective: January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 187, effective January 1, 1975.

522.030 is the same as 522.020, but a class B, rather than class A, misdemeanor with a lesser sentence- the jury would decide which one to apply.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 01, 2015, 12:25:19 PM
Interracial gay marriage is still illegal, right?

No. You can marry garbon if you want.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 01, 2015, 12:36:30 PM

The oath she took does not include model text about the laws of the United States, but it does require her to "not
knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the
duties of [her] office without favor, affection or partiality..."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=21176

The prosecutors are considering official misconduct charges have charged her with official misconduct, which would carry jail time regardless of whether she gets the felony or misdemeanor flavor: http://www.towleroad.com/2015/08/kim-davis-misconduct/

The applicable text of the charge:

Quote from: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=19888522.020 Official misconduct in the first degree.
(1) A public servant is guilty of official misconduct in the first degree when, with intent
to obtain or confer a benefit or to injure another person or to deprive another person
of a benefit, he knowingly:
(a) Commits an act relating to his office which constitutes an unauthorized
exercise of his official functions; or
(b) Refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent
in the nature of his office;
or
(c) Violates any statute or lawfully adopted rule or regulation relating to his
office.
(2) Official misconduct in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
Effective: January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 187, effective January 1, 1975.

522.030 is the same as 522.020, but a class B, rather than class A, misdemeanor with a lesser sentence- the jury would decide which one to apply.

There is no defense for this sort of behavior.  If she is unable or unwilling to carry out her duties she should relinquish her office immediately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Yes, she should resign if she is unwilling to perform her job.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Guys - her whole schtick is not to resign so that she can make a spectacle of herself not doing her job.
She's gone Blues Brothers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2015, 03:22:37 PM
Guys - her whole schtick is not to resign so that she can make a spectacle of herself not doing her job.

Oh my god. You're right!

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2015, 03:22:37 PM
She's gone Blues Brothers.
:yes:  At this point it's a publicity stunt.  She's probably hoping for a job on Fox News.