And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2015, 03:32:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
I can't help to notice that in the US governors, even in red states, are generally much more sensible and level headed than legislators. Is this a correct observation?

Rick Perry and Sarah Palin beg to differ.

Well, I was talking generally. Besides, I think Rick Perry actually is saner than an average Texas legislator; and Sarah Palin resigned. ;)

The Minsky Moment

Perry declared a statewide rain dance.
You can't find crazier than that outside of Raz's basement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 03:27:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 10:48:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
I can't help to notice that in the US governors, even in red states, are generally much more sensible and level headed than legislators. Is this a correct observation?

Imagine that.  People who hold the top political job in their jurisdiction are generally more able.  How does it work in Poland?

Well, it's different as the local equivalent of governors (who, incidentally, have much less power as Poland is a unitary country) are administrative appointees and are not elected. I guess I was surprised that despite being elected the US governors are still quite reasonable and do not pander to the base as much as legislators do.

In any group of legislators you are going to find wing nuts.  The position of Governor is different because they are not being elected from a Gerrymandered district within the State. 

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2015, 03:48:24 PM

Perry is a strange guy. He would just arbitrarily do whatever seemed like a good idea at the time according to his own inscrutable whims and was corrupt. I hated him but now I wonder if he was preferable to the ideological crusading guys who are following him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 03:49:02 PM
In any group of legislators you are going to find wing nuts.  The position of Governor is different because they are not being elected from a Gerrymandered district within the State. 

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Well, Polish MPs once organised a "prayer for rain" during a drought.  :P

Martinus

One thing about LGBT politics in the US I don't quite get is why so much effort (at least judging from my Facebook feed - but given that this featured prominently in John Oliver's segment on transgendered people, I guess it is not just my Facebook feed) is spent on allowing LGBT people (now this just boils down to T people, as I guess LGB can do it now) to serve in the military.

Sure, more freedom is always good, but shouldn't this be like a 156th priority? Perhaps start lobbying for the government to put more diplomatic pressure on countries where gay people are habitually murdered, victimised or imprisoned, or get the federal anti-employment-discrimination protection before you focus on fighting for two dozens of trannies who want to be able to bomb Afghan weddings but do not want to have a haircut?

Monoriu

I pondered for a while what rain dance stood for in this metaphor.  Then I did a search and found this.

QuoteTexas is in the grip of historic wildfires that have destroyed nearly 1.8 million acres of forest and grassland in the state as well as 400 homes. The almost 8,000 fires so far this year are unprecedented, which last weekend prompted Gov. Rick Perry to call upon the national government for assistance. Now Perry is calling upon the Man Upstairs for help.

Perry issued a proclamation on Thursday declaring the next 72 hours the "Days of Prayer for Rain in Texas," asking residents to appeal to whatever higher power they prefer for help. It states:

WHEREAS, throughout our history, both as a state and as individuals, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer; it seems right and fitting that the people of Texas should join together in prayer to humbly seek an end to this devastating drought and these dangerous wildfires;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal and robust way of life.

garbon

Yahoo told me this was breaking news! <_<

http://news.yahoo.com/clerk-issue-gay-marriage-licenses-court-ruling-083217111.html

QuoteKentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses

A county clerk has again refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, invoking her religious beliefs and "God's authority" — this time in defiance of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling against her.

On Tuesday morning, Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis' office denied the licenses to at least two couples. At first, Davis remained in her office with the door closed and blinds drawn. But she emerged a few minutes later, telling the couples and the activists gathered there that her office is continuing to deny the licenses "under God's authority."

Davis asked David Moore and David Ermold, a couple who has been rejected four times by her office, to leave. They refused, surrounded by reporters and cameras.

"We're not leaving until we have a license," Ermold said.

"Then you're going to have a long day," Davis told him.

From the back of the room, Davis' supporters said: "Praise the Lord! ... Stand your ground."

Other activists shouted that Davis is a bigot and told her: "Do your job."

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to intervene in the case, leaving Davis no legal grounds to refuse to grant licenses to gay couples. A district judge could now hold her in contempt, which can carry steep fines or jail time.

Davis has steadfastly refused to issue the licenses, saying her deeply held Christian beliefs don't let her endorse gay marriages.

Davis stopped issuing all marriage licenses in the days after U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage across the nation. Two gay couples and two straight couples sued her, arguing that she must fulfill her duties as an elected official despite her personal religious faith. A federal judge ordered her to issue the licenses, and an appeals court upheld that decision. Her lawyers with the Liberty Counsel filed a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court on Friday, asking that they grant her "asylum for her conscience."

Justice Elena Kagan, who oversees the 6th district, referred Davis' request to the full court, which denied the stay without comment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Oh she is elected. I was wondering why she wasn't fired.

Caliga

Yahoo!  Another ignorant bigot making Kentucky look bad!  :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 09:45:21 AM
Yahoo!  Another ignorant bigot making Kentucky look bad!  :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, I don't consider you a bigot. :hug:

:P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2015, 08:01:29 AM
Oh she is elected. I was wondering why she wasn't fired.

Gotta be impeached, but the county prosecutor is contemplating filing charges of contempt and official misconduct, IIRC.
Experience bij!