News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 10, 2015, 10:00:58 AM
The girls married the "sons of God" and gave birth to Nephilim.  Of course.

I like their Fields.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 09:55:00 AM
So has she issued licenses adulterers, divorcees, thieves, etc.? Or was that A-OK in her book?

Sure. She is a Christian and thus filled with forgiveness and stuff.
None of them are evil sinful gays. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:46:02 AM
Quote"because I know that God ordained marriage from the very foundation of this world to be between a man and a woman."

Little remembered fact.  Adam and Eve were never married.

And who did their kids marry?  :hmm:

Divine beings may be rather thin on the ground in Kentucky, though.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 10:11:01 AM

Ever since Adolph Rupp passed away :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2015, 10:06:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 09:55:00 AM
So has she issued licenses adulterers, divorcees, thieves, etc.? Or was that A-OK in her book?

Sure. She is a Christian and thus filled with forgiveness and stuff.
None of them are evil sinful gays. :yes:

Well even Christian forgiveness has its limits Cal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 10:11:01 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2015, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 09:46:02 AM
Quote"because I know that God ordained marriage from the very foundation of this world to be between a man and a woman."

Little remembered fact.  Adam and Eve were never married.

And who did their kids marry?  :hmm:

Not for long.  American fundamentalists keep telling me these are the end times.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2015, 09:15:01 AM
QuoteKentucky Gov. to Defiant Clerk: License Same-Sex Marriages or Resign
Clerk Casey Davis says his Christian beliefs won't allow him to serve same-sex couples, but Gov. Steve Beshear says he must do his job.
BY TRUDY RING
JULY 09 2015 3:43 PM ET

Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has told a county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples that he should serve all qualified couples or give up his job — but the clerk remains defiant.

Beshear gave that message to Casey County Clerk Casey Davis in a private meeting today, the Lexington Herald-Leader reports. Davis, who claims his Christian beliefs won't allow him to license same-sex marriages, had requested the meeting with the governor earlier this week.

"I advised Mr. Davis that I respect his right to his own personal beliefs regarding same-sex marriages," said a statement released by the governor. "However, when he was elected, he took a constitutional oath to uphold the United States Constitution. According to the United States Supreme Court, the Constitution now requires that governmental officials in Kentucky and elsewhere must recognize same-sex marriages as valid and allow them to take place."

Davis, however, told reporters at the capitol that his position hasn't changed. He won't issue licenses to same-sex couples, and he also won't resign. He recognizes that he could be sued or charged with official misconduct, but said, "I'm going to trust in the Lord with all my heart." He had suggested earlier that the state relieve county clerks of the duty of issuing marriage licenses by setting up an online system, but some legal experts pointed out that would make it difficult to verify some information concerning couples' eligibility to marry.

Beshear also said he won't call a special session of the legislature to deal with marriage equality, as some clerks, lawmakers, and right-wing activists had urged him to do. Such a session would be a waste of taxpayer money, he said. All but two or three county clerks in Kentucky are issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, he noted, adding, "The courts and the voters will deal appropriately with the rest."

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis has shut down all marriage operations because of her opposition to same-sex unions, and she is facing a lawsuit brought by four couples through the American Civil Liberties Union's Kentucky affiliate. A gay couple denied a license at her office Monday recorded video of the encounter, which has since gone viral, with more than 1.2 million views on YouTube at press time.

I can't help to notice that in the US governors, even in red states, are generally much more sensible and level headed than legislators. Is this a correct observation?

Caliga

County clerks aren't legislators.  They're elected local officials.  When your locality is a bunch of uneducated Bible-thumpers, it's not uncommon for uneducated Bible-thumpers to be elected. :sleep:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
County clerks aren't legislators.  They're elected local officials.  When your locality is a bunch of uneducated Bible-thumpers, it's not uncommon for uneducated Bible-thumpers to be elected. :sleep:

I didn't mean that country clerks are legislators. :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 10:15:38 AM
I can't help to notice that in the US governors, even in red states, are generally much more sensible and level headed than legislators. Is this a correct observation?
Yes, as governor they're responsible for what goes on, while a congressman/state representative can do whatever he wants, secure in his knowledge the President/Governor will get blamed for anything bad that happens.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on July 10, 2015, 10:37:26 AM
I didn't mean that country clerks are legislators. :P
Sorry Mart.  I don't know how deep your knowledge of American government is. :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 10, 2015, 10:38:16 AM
Yes, as governor they're responsible for what goes on, while a congressman/state representative can do whatever he wants, secure in his knowledge the President/Governor will get blamed for anything bad that happens.
Well what I said about clerks applies here too... localities populated by retarded slackjaws are prone to electing retarded slackjaws to the state legislature just like they are prone to electing retarded slackjaws to the county clerkship.

crazy canuck

Imagine that.  People who hold the top political job in their jurisdiction are generally more able.  How does it work in Poland?

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2015, 10:48:32 AM

Imagine that.  People who hold the top political job in their jurisdiction are generally more able.  How does it work in Poland?

Well, it's different as the local equivalent of governors (who, incidentally, have much less power as Poland is a unitary country) are administrative appointees and are not elected. I guess I was surprised that despite being elected the US governors are still quite reasonable and do not pander to the base as much as legislators do.

The Minsky Moment

Rick Perry and Sarah Palin beg to differ.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson