News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2016, 10:55:47 AM
Well, in fairness most of the time I was just sitting on a rock enjoying a cigar, half hoping I didn't catch anything.  And of course once it got dark we spent our time drinking beer and BS-ing around the fire.

My brother made a video of the trip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2M59OKsrtg

That is how I like to fish.

Reminds me, I have to get some cigars.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2016, 08:01:21 AMThe future is online shopping, which is glorious compared to overpriced highstreet shops with limited selection of goods. Screw that.

Online shopping for the unwashed masses, in store shopping for the elites who have the time at the right time to go to the shops, and who have the disposable income to be unconcerned about paying more for a personalized experience. The very top tier of the elites'll probably have the stores come to them.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2016, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2016, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2016, 08:01:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2016, 05:48:01 AM
It seems BHS is going bankrupt.
Don't care about that shop. I'm not its audience.
But still...damn. the death of the high street continues. I really fear for the future

The future is online shopping, which is glorious compared to overpriced highstreet shops with limited selection of goods. Screw that.
There's more to high streets than shopping. They're community hubs.

Sure and people can do those other things that aren't shopping. :)
Not if the high street is dead.
Less shops=less footfall=less business for cafes, restaurants, pubs, etc....
It's all interconnected.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2016, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2016, 08:01:21 AMThe future is online shopping, which is glorious compared to overpriced highstreet shops with limited selection of goods. Screw that.

Online shopping for the unwashed masses, in store shopping for the elites who have the time at the right time to go to the shops, and who have the disposable income to be unconcerned about paying more for a personalized experience. The very top tier of the elites'll probably have the stores come to them.

That's probably true. Most of my in-store shopping (non-food) is for more unique/individualized items. Not claiming elite status but just that yeah, if I want a deal - do it online. If I want assistance on something more...substantial that's when I'll be making a purchase in a store.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2016, 11:15:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2016, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2016, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2016, 08:01:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2016, 05:48:01 AM
It seems BHS is going bankrupt.
Don't care about that shop. I'm not its audience.
But still...damn. the death of the high street continues. I really fear for the future

The future is online shopping, which is glorious compared to overpriced highstreet shops with limited selection of goods. Screw that.
There's more to high streets than shopping. They're community hubs.

Sure and people can do those other things that aren't shopping. :)
Not if the high street is dead.
Less shops=less footfall=less business for cafes, restaurants, pubs, etc....
It's all interconnected.

I guess. Of course, I live in a large city so somewhat less of a concern. My highstreet has a fair number of shops but I would guess per storefront more likely to be bar or restaurant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2016, 11:18:00 AM
That's probably true. Most of my in-store shopping (non-food) is for more unique/individualized items. Not claiming elite status but just that yeah, if I want a deal - do it online. If I want assistance on something more...substantial that's when I'll be making a purchase in a store.

You're elite enough :hug:

Professional job, global outlook and mobility, significant disposable cash, transferable and marketable skills. You're sitting pretty.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2016, 11:15:12 AM

The only thing I buy online are computer games. 

Savonarola

I was listening to the Spanish language radio station out of Orlando yesterday.  The DJs announced that one of Puerto Rico's hottest reaggaeton artists would be at one of the local club's Cinco de Mayo parties.  Hispanics celebrating an obscure Mexican holiday with Puerto Rican music struck me as an "Only in America" moment.  It would have been even better if she had made the announcement in English.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

My Salvadoran housekeeper used to get all bent out of shape over somebody saying "Happy Cinco de Mayo" to her.

"Iyama proud Salvadoran."

Awww.

Admiral Yi

We need to come up with a fake drinking holiday for dothead Indians.

A fake drinking day for feather Indians would obviously be a very, very, very bad idea.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2016, 02:14:41 PM
We need to come up with a fake drinking holiday for dothead Indians.

A fake drinking day for feather Indians would obviously be a very, very, very bad idea.

*Does some quick googling*

I hereby propose we start celebrating Ghandhi Jayanti, which celebrates Mahatma Ghandhi's birthday (and is a national holiday in India).  I see no problem at all using his birthday as an excuse for a bunch of North American twenty-something to go out and get drunk on Indian beer every October 2nd. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

August 15th? Though any Indian celebrations always stir up all their ethnic division tensions so maybe better not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 02:20:54 PM

I hereby propose we start celebrating Ghandhi Jayanti, which celebrates Mahatma Ghandhi's birthday (and is a national holiday in India).  I see no problem at all using his birthday as an excuse for a bunch of North American twenty-something to go out and get drunk on Indian beer every October 2nd. :)

Krauts already have that space on the calendar reserved.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2016, 02:23:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 02:20:54 PM

Krauts already have that space on the calendar reserved.

*more googling*

Bah - Octoberfest is almost over by then.  This year it runs Sept 17 to October 3.

Besides the irony of drinking to celebrate the birth of a noted teetotaler is to good to pass up. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

In my travel research I have noticed something. Often, places will have reviews stating something along the lines of "it was right in the middle of the city...noisy, hard to sleep". These are invariably written by Americans. I'd guess that means a good location to most other people.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers