And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on February 17, 2016, 04:59:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 04:57:20 PM
"Typical" includes linemen, who hardly run at all.
I think it just means players, not officials, though linesmen do run a fair bit.

Linesmen as in offensive/defensive linesmen not assistant referees.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 17, 2016, 04:59:34 PM
I think it just means players, not officials, though linesmen do run a fair bit.

American football linemen, not fodbol linesmen.

No S.

Admiral Yi

Although i wonder if they include the distance run from the sidelines to the huddle and back.  :hmm:

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 05:08:42 PM
Although i wonder if they include the distance run from the sidelines to the huddle and back.  :hmm:

I wonder what a sprints per game would show.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

All running is not created equal. Basketball will wear your ass out even if you don't get in much mileage, because you have to sprint back and forth.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Futbol 7 to 9 miles? Bullshit, I played that shit when I was young, I swear it was more like 15 to 20 miles per game.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 01:56:20 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 01:31:32 PM
The у instead of the а is easy, the м instead of й in похожим is harder. Is that instrumental?
It will obviously be wrong.  It's like the difference between "be like" and "is like".

I meant is it the instrumental case. :P
I have no idea what "instrumental case" is.  :blush:

It's your damn language!  Instrumental is the grammatical case where subject is doing something using some other object.  "I dug a hole with a shovel" or "The package arrived by mail"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

It's a way overly complicated language, with way too many grammar rules.  :mad: And my mastery of Russian grammar is not at all flawless like my English grammar is.  :Embarrass:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 04:57:20 PM
"Typical" includes linemen, who hardly run at all.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see how much wide recievers and running backs run.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Regardless, my coaches always made up the difference for us during practice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 17, 2016, 07:32:07 PM

Regardless, my coaches always made up the difference for us during practice.

Well we were talking about the players, not the waterboy, but I suppose that's a good point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2016, 06:51:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 01:56:20 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 01:31:32 PM
The у instead of the а is easy, the м instead of й in похожим is harder. Is that instrumental?
It will obviously be wrong.  It's like the difference between "be like" and "is like".

I meant is it the instrumental case. :P
I have no idea what "instrumental case" is.  :blush:

It's your damn language!  Instrumental is the grammatical case where subject is doing something using some other object.  "I dug a hole with a shovel" or "The package arrived by mail"

Though it's always that straightforward.  Intstrumental can used, for example, when talking about the job someone holds (он работает пилотам), or just based on a specific word construction...or demanded by the verb used.   

Razgovory

I'm still working on the language.  It's harder then Latin.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 17, 2016, 05:41:13 PM
Futbol 7 to 9 miles? Bullshit, I played that shit when I was young, I swear it was more like 15 to 20 miles per game.  :mad:

Typical for players who stay in their zones instead of chasing the guy with the ball all game.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

When it came to soccer during my youth, I usually played as the referee.  You do run quite a lot as the soccer referee, you really don't want the players to catch you.