News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2016, 09:44:07 PM
I'm still working on the language.  It's harder then Latin.

Don't know if it helps, but instrumental is covered by ablative in Latin. But then most of the times Latin uses ablative for locative, except in the cases locative maintained itself in Latin.  :D

Razgovory

Yeah, Latin could be confusing.  Ablative seemed to cover the same area that Russian does for Prepositional and Instrumental.  I don't think I was ever taught Latin Locative, I have to look it up.  Apparently it wasn't used much.   Latin is very similar to Russian in that it is an inflective language and you have to memorize charts of endings and pronouns.   I'm still working on the memorization thing.  What is nice is that there are charts and other aids already on the net so you have ready access to the twenty odd ways to say "my".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2016, 04:52:45 AM
Yeah, Latin could be confusing.  Ablative seemed to cover the same area that Russian does for Prepositional and Instrumental.  I don't think I was ever taught Latin Locative, I have to look it up.  Apparently it wasn't used much.   Latin is very similar to Russian in that it is an inflective language and you have to memorize charts of endings and pronouns.   I'm still working on the memorization thing.  What is nice is that there are charts and other aids already on the net so you have ready access to the twenty odd ways to say "my".

Мой, моего, моему, моём, моим, моё, моя, мою, моей, мои, моими, моих, that's not 20!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Locative in Latin was used for the first and second declension cities, so it's somewhat common, eg Lutetiae sum (I am in Paris) + the trio humi ruri domi with this great example found on the net to memorise it: Ruri, domi, humi dormio i.e In the countryside, at home, I sleep on the floor.
Locative Singular in Latin melded wtith genitive or ablative forms. No traces in plural.

Razgovory

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2016, 04:56:14 AM

Мой, моего, моему, моём, моим, моё, моя, мою, моей, мои, моими, моих, that's not 20!

Yeah, but some of those do double or triple duty.

Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2016, 07:51:59 PM
Well we were talking about the players, not the waterboy, but I suppose that's a good point.

:D  I played from third grade through high school, ya goof.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2016, 09:26:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2016, 07:51:59 PM
Well we were talking about the players, not the waterboy, but I suppose that's a good point.

:D  I played from third grade through high school, ya goof.

Now that's what I call high quality H2O.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Watching a darts match and I'm surprised that 1) it's aired live 2) the crowd is huge. What doesn't surprise me is 1) the crowd is obviously well drunk 2) both players are obese
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Interesting, I had no idea that ball lightning had been observed and explained.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/science/scientists-show-ball-lightning-is-not-a-myth
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Income taxes filed!

For some reason Iowa wanted to know how much my car weighed, which I had a helluva time finding until I just googled "2006 Fusion weight."  Is there seriously anything Google can't do?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2016, 08:53:09 PM
Income taxes filed!

For some reason Iowa wanted to know how much my car weighed, which I had a helluva time finding until I just googled "2006 Fusion weight."  Is there seriously anything Google can't do?

I just input this post into Google translate and try to translate it into Chinese.  It is gibberish  :lol:

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2016, 08:21:24 PM

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/science/scientists-show-ball-lightning-is-not-a-myth
and here I was thinking it was Ed lighting his farts all this time.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

It's been around for years.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on February 18, 2016, 10:19:31 PM

First observed by science in 2012 and published in 2014 is not that long

Edit: just noticed there's a pic posted. My phone won't show it for some reason.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 18, 2016, 11:30:45 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 18, 2016, 10:19:31 PM

First observed by science in 2012 and published in 2014 is not that long

Edit: just noticed there's a pic posted. My phone won't show it for some reason.

Big Brother
Winner of THE grumbler point.