News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on August 22, 2015, 01:12:22 PM
Looks like unemployment was lower in the 1970s then ever after. But then I associate the 1970s Britain with run-down state enterprises and general economic malaise... :hmm:  :bowler:

Don't forget trash rotting in the streets.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

The big question is how many people were employed in useless state sponsored jobs back then? Don't forget communist countries had zero percent unemployment, and it didn't exactly help their economy.

mongers

A B-17 at about 500 ft, has just flown directly over my house.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

I was recently at Kaiserslautern. Planes, planes everywhere. And Americans. It reminded me of going bowling to the old base in my hometown.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on August 23, 2015, 11:54:48 AM
Did the bomb bays malfunction?  :(

Admiral Yi

While reading a review of a book about the McMartin-Buckley child abuse trials in the 1980's, I learned that it was largely based on successfull prosecution of child abuse cases at this time, several of which were later overturned, that Janet Reno was nominated as Attorney General.

Tamas

WHAT COULD HAPPEN

katmai

Are you anywhere near the place that had the airshow accident? :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on August 23, 2015, 03:21:38 PM

Are you anywhere near the place that had the airshow accident? :huh:

No, that was 50 miles East further along the coast, the airshow nearby was the Bm'th one. The crash yesterday happened just before the Vulcan bomber's display, so it held and then travelled on to other displays.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

There's an airshow every year near my parents' place, in September. They are bringing a WWII vintage Catalina this year  :cool:

Liep

For two elections straight the newly installed government has recalculated the finances and found significantly less money than the previous government claimed there was. The blame of course is on the old government and the new one has an excuse for not delivering what they promised in the election.

:yawn:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

I love how notice of termination letters only take effect the first or fifteenth day of the month. How wonderfully anal. I mean, German.

A full month and a half of notice. :bleeding: I'm sure that'll make my upcoming job hunt easier.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on August 24, 2015, 08:40:31 AM
I love how notice of termination letters only take effect the first or fifteenth day of the month. How wonderfully anal. I mean, German.

A full month and a half of notice. :bleeding: I'm sure that'll make my upcoming job hunt easier.

:(

(Not sure anymore how it works in Germany, but in Austria they're required to give notice x months till month end or 15th - the amount of months depends on how long you've been with the company.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.