Several injured in shooting on Amsterdam-Paris high-speed train

Started by Duque de Bragança, August 21, 2015, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

QuoteShots were fired on a Thalys high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris on Friday and several people were injured, the French interior ministry said.

A man was arrested when the train stopped at Arras station in northern France but his motives were not yet known, a ministry spokesman said. Thalys said in a tweet that travellers were safe and the situation was under control.

"A man opened fire on this Thalys train between Amsterdam and Paris, one person was very seriously injured," ministry spokesman Pierre Henry Brandet said on BFM-TV television. "Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment," he said.

France has been on high security alert since Islamist militants killed 17 people in and around Paris in January.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve was en route to Arras in response to the train shooting, Brandet said.

No one at the SNCF French railways was immediately available to comment on the report.

Not confirmed as a terrorist attack, yet.

A French newspaper, http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/arras-coups-de-feu-dans-un-thalys-des-blesses-dont-ia0b0n3001636, claims that two soldiers (British and American) successfully "tackled" the gunman when hearing heavy weapon loading noises in a WC.

QuoteD'après nos informations, deux militaires (un Américain et un Britannique) auraient entendu dans les toilettes le bruit de la culasse d'une arme lourde (sic) en train d'être chargée. Ils seraient intervenus pour maîtriser l'homme avant qu'il ne puisse utiliser l'arme dans la rame. Les deux militaires ont été blessés, l'un d'un coup de feu, l'autre à l'arme blanche, selon le procureur de la République.

The North African assailant reportedly used a Kalashnikov rifle to shoot at people before getting "tackled".

QuoteD'après nos informations recueillies sur place, l'homme d'origine nord-africaine aurait tiré à la kalachnikov avant d'être maîtrisé par des passagers d'origine américaine.

I don't think the gunman was doing some cosplay tribute to Sonny Chiba's Bullet Train http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080479

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Is the injured passenger alright?

Glad to see American and British soldiers are still beating up badguys in France.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Soon that will be respun and it will be French who did the beating up.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Two American soldiers took the shooter down. Thanks Obama!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 21, 2015, 02:53:02 PM
Soon that will be respun and it will be French who did the beating up.

The French are slaves to truth! :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Duque de Bragança

Well, it's not very clear yet, initial reports etc., but the two soldiers are probably badly wounded, one by gunshot, the other by a bladed weapon. The other injured person appears to have only lightly wounded.

PS: not sure if it's two US soldiers or a British and an American. Article contradicts itself.

Maladict

Shooter is Moroccan, he is known to the authorities. Apparently he carried nine magazines and some knives.

Martinus

Fuck, when I lived in Brussels, I travelled on that train a couple of times.

Duque de Bragança

The Thalys train is a high-speed train linking Paris to Brussels, Amsterdam or Cologne, so yes it's pretty famous and commonly used.
Cazeneuve, French Interior minister, now says it was two Americans who neutralised the Moroccan gunman.

Valmy

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.