Several injured in shooting on Amsterdam-Paris high-speed train

Started by Duque de Bragança, August 21, 2015, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 22, 2015, 04:42:26 AM
I like the way Cazeneuve tries to avoid using terrorism or terrorist when describing this attack or "incident", unlike the Belgian prime minister.  :rolleyes:

At most, this was a failed attempt at terrorism, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

It's really bizarre to argue that only succesful terrorist attacks are terrorism.  :huh:

I guess by that logic you are not an antisemite unless you get at least one Jew in a pogrom...

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

According to Le Figaro, when questioned, the shooter denies terrorist intent and instead states he was just planning a heist and found the weapons in a bag by chance in a park in Bruxelles.
Police is not convinced since he does not fit the petty criminal profile, no criminal record and no time served.

Quote• Le tireur affirme avoir voulu braquer le train

En garde à vue, le suspect a donné une version des faits pour le moins déroutante. Il nie avoir eu l'intention de commettre un attentat. Il explique avoir voulu braquer le train et rançonner les passagers. Interrogé sur la provenance de son arsenal, qui comprenait un pistolet automatique, une kalachnikov des munitions et un cutter, le tireur assure les avoir découverts par hasard dans un sac abandonné dans un parc de Bruxelles.
Un récit qui, en l'état des investigations, ne tient pas, souligne les sources policières. L'homme n'a jamais été emprisonné et n'a pas le profil d'un délinquant de droit commun.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2015/08/22/01016-20150822ARTFIG00063-thalys-le-tireur-affirme-avoir-voulu-braquer-le-train.php

Guy also went to Syria, according to El Pais. Probably as a tourist, I guess.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 22, 2015, 08:08:54 AM
According to Le Figaro, when questioned, the shooter denies terrorist intent and instead states he was just planning a heist and found the weapons in a bag by chance in a park in Bruxelles.
Police is not convinced since he does not fit the petty criminal profile, no criminal record and no time served.

En garde à vue, le suspect a donné une version des faits pour le moins déroutante. Il nie avoir eu l'intention de commettre un attentat. Il explique avoir voulu braquer le train et rançonner les passagers. Interrogé sur la provenance de son arsenal, qui comprenait un pistolet automatique, une kalachnikov des munitions et un cutter, le tireur assure les avoir découverts par hasard dans un sac abandonné dans un parc de Bruxelles.
Un récit qui, en l'état des investigations, ne tient pas, souligne les sources policières. L'homme n'a jamais été emprisonné et n'a pas le profil d'un délinquant de droit commun.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2015/08/22/01016-20150822ARTFIG00063-thalys-le-tireur-affirme-avoir-voulu-braquer-le-train.php

Brussel has many things, but not weapons lying around by the bag load.

Phillip V

Why have Frenchmen never saved America from terrorist attack? :mad:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on August 22, 2015, 11:13:14 AM
Why have Frenchmen never saved America from terrorist attack? :mad:

They did, between 1778 and 1782.  They probably would have in 1812-1814 as well, but they were rather busy trying to keep the Russians out of Europe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PJL

We weren't terrorists though. If anything, they were the terrorists.

celedhring

French police should look again, he does have a criminal record in Spain for drug trafficking. There's a search and capture order out for him, actually.

grumbler

Quote from: PJL on August 22, 2015, 02:26:18 PM
We weren't terrorists though. If anything, they were the terrorists.

They weren't the terrorists.  The others were.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2015, 02:45:50 PM

French police should look again, he does have a criminal record in Spain for drug trafficking. There's a search and capture order out for him, actually.

It seems the police was under orders of the Interior minister to avoid looking at the file Spanish intelligence had about him...

PS: at least now he has been formally identified, that shoulp perhaps authorise them to have a look at his file.

Razgovory

I'm going to guess he'll need a better story then that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

I like how everyone assumed the two US dudes were Marines, and it turns out to be USAF and Army National Guard.  :P