News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on August 03, 2015, 05:24:51 AM

I plan to go to Torres del Paine as well as the region around El Chalten and El Calafate.

I have about seven weeks (end of November to mid of January), so I'll travel to other places in Argentina and Chile (maybe also Uruguay or Bolivia) as well.

I may be down there in December.  :hmm:

I've been to El Chalten and Calafate. I want to go back to El Chalten. If you rent a car and want to get off the beaten path, the Cueva de las Manos is a ~7 hour drive from El Chalten on Routa 40. I think they may have paved that section of it, which may cut down on the driving time, but it would sort of be a shame because it is such a classic drive. Remarkable scenery off the beaten path and you will only see a handful of other cars/signs of humanity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

I've heard of "cruises" you can rent a cabin on a research ship down to Antarctica.

Maybe all three of you can "film" a documentary on a research ship, I'm sure katmai has worked with directors and sound guys with as much skills as you two. :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I once thought about renting a cabin on a freight ship to cross the Atlantic or "hitchhike" around the Carribean or South Pacific. That shit's expensive, way more so than a plane ticket.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I wonder how much it would be to rent a cabin on a Jap whale "research" ship. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 03, 2015, 10:11:04 AM
I've heard of "cruises" you can rent a cabin on a research ship down to Antarctica.

Maybe all three of you can "film" a documentary on a research ship, I'm sure katmai has worked with directors and sound guys with as much skills as you two. :P

I'm not going to Antarctica. I don't get to take off seven weeks at a time for vacation.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Wow, you will be a terrible sound guy for this documentary. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2015, 10:22:51 AM
I once thought about renting a cabin on a freight ship to cross the Atlantic or "hitchhike" around the Carribean or South Pacific. That shit's expensive, way more so than a plane ticket.

*Another* docu director I know did just that  :P He and a sound girl rented a cabin in a huge-ass container ship crossing the Atlantic and shot a docu about the life aboard. It was, I gotta say, quite dull.

Zanza

I want to do five days or so W-Trek in Torres del Paine and two or three days out of El Chalten. I don't plan to rent a car. I'll just use busses I guess. If you know when you'll go, let me know. I will probably start with a Spanish course in Buenos Aires, but don't have firm plans afterwardso yet.

Zanza

I get sea sick easily so I'll never take a boat across Drake Strait. I guess that means no Antarctica for me. 😦

Caliga

Seems like it'd be a fun ride.  Wheeeee!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on August 03, 2015, 07:28:57 AM
Guy I know went there to shoot a documentary and showed me a few of the tapes when he came back. Utterly fascinating place. I would love to go someday...
Yeah have had a few friends down there not named Lusti
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

MadBurgerMaker

Cool.  Google Fiber is coming to SA.  I can switch to that in like 5 years!  :)

(maybe)

Josquius

You live in South Africa?
██████
██████
██████