And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on July 30, 2015, 04:56:31 PM
An engineer is criticizing someone for hard to understand jargon? :rolleyes:

It wasn't hard to understand, merely tedious.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on July 30, 2015, 08:48:16 AM
This is cool:

Any idea on the meaning?

[spoiler]5% of the world's population in blue, 5% of the world's population in red[/spoiler]
Link seems dead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I see it in your quote.

LaCroix

apparently there are rumors that NY biglaw is shifting from 160k starting to 190k. if it does, maybe third-tier "biglaw" will see a 5k bump. :D

(edit) or probably the rumors are bs :( http://abovethelaw.com/2014/10/ny-to-190k-not-so-fast-because-160k-salaries-are-no-longer-the-norm/

Syt

Google Deepdream vs. Spaghetti.

Creepypasta indeed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 30, 2015, 01:44:55 PM
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/07/german-authorities-investigate-surveillance-leaks
QuoteThe German domestic security service has urged the Federal Public Prosecutor to consider charges of treason as a result of two articles posted earlier this year by Netzpolitik.org, one of Germany's most influential digital rights blogs. The articles reported on leaked documents regarding the German government's mass surveillance plans. The German criminal code considers the leaking of state secrets to a foreign power, or to anyone else with the intention of damaging the Republic to be treason: the crime can be punished with up to five year's imprisonment.

Freedom of press in Germany is under threat. This is highly unusual and the charge of treason against journalists hasn't been used in about half a century. You can basically be charged with treason when you publish secrets you obtained from a whistle blower or so here, e.g. NYT publishing Edward Snowdon's documents could have been considered treason here. This is a very old law dating back to Bismarck and it was misused in the Weimar Republic to oppress the left-liberal press.
This is currently the top story in a lot of German newspapers and TV news shows.

The prosecution has decided to let the investigation rest. For now.

The CDU head of the "Digital Agenda" committee of parliament posted on social media, "If something is marked 'top secret' then that's also binding for journalists and journalist wannabes. [...] What freedom of press is invoked for these days ..."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

What is going on with all these "any languish ...ians" threads? :unsure:

Duque de Bragança

Languish meme of the day.

Zanza

Any Languish assholes?

Oh, wait, that's all of us, right?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Zanza on July 31, 2015, 11:39:10 AM
Any Languish assholes?

:moon:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on July 31, 2015, 11:39:10 AM
Any Languish assholes?

*raises hand enthusiastically*

katmai

All pretenders to the throne.

And Beeb isn't.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

It happened again. Some Spanish person doing the whole "mwa haha. You can't speak French? Brits are so stupid and ignorant. I bet you can't speak any language!" Thing.
Me: I speak Japanese
Them: I mean a real language. That doesn't count. Something they speak in Europe .

:frusty:
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

I am just looking into a trip to Patagonia. One of the things I stumbled over was the possibility of a two-day trip to Antarctica via plane... :hmm: