And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2015, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2015, 09:55:24 AM
That map goes a bit too far in just selecting the emptiest places on Earth for the blue zone.

It is also using a map projection that makes places in the far north look unnaturally huge compared to places on the equator.   ;)

Canada: where the maps make them look unnaturally huge, and the cold makes them look unnaturally tiny.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2015, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2015, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2015, 09:55:24 AM
That map goes a bit too far in just selecting the emptiest places on Earth for the blue zone.

It is also using a map projection that makes places in the far north look unnaturally huge compared to places on the equator.   ;)

Canada: where the maps make them look unnaturally huge, and the cold makes them look unnaturally tiny.
:lol:

Zanza

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/07/german-authorities-investigate-surveillance-leaks
QuoteThe German domestic security service has urged the Federal Public Prosecutor to consider charges of treason as a result of two articles posted earlier this year by Netzpolitik.org, one of Germany's most influential digital rights blogs. The articles reported on leaked documents regarding the German government's mass surveillance plans. The German criminal code considers the leaking of state secrets to a foreign power, or to anyone else with the intention of damaging the Republic to be treason: the crime can be punished with up to five year's imprisonment.

Freedom of press in Germany is under threat. This is highly unusual and the charge of treason against journalists hasn't been used in about half a century. You can basically be charged with treason when you publish secrets you obtained from a whistle blower or so here, e.g. NYT publishing Edward Snowdon's documents could have been considered treason here. This is a very old law dating back to Bismarck and it was misused in the Weimar Republic to oppress the left-liberal press.
This is currently the top story in a lot of German newspapers and TV news shows.

derspiess

The Iron Chancellor knew his stuff.  I'd think for a while before repealing it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

5 years in prison? Well heck that isn't a big deal for publishers with a civil disobedience angle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

You shouldn't need civil disobedience as a journalist in a free country.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 30, 2015, 02:25:18 PM

Just saying for a charge of treason five years is pretty light. Especially since I assume there would only be a conviction for some truly irresponsible publishing. Like publishing state secrets that resulted in serious damage to people or property.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2015, 02:30:02 PM

Just saying for a charge of treason five years is pretty light. Especially since I assume there would only be a conviction for some truly irresponsible publishing. Like publishing state secrets that resulted in serious damage to people or property.

It's two blog entries: "Secret money rain: Intelligence service works on mass analysis of social media content" and "Secret council: we present the new domestic intelligence unit for the increase of internet surveillance." Not sure how much info was given in each article, since they're both offline now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, the last time this happened was in the 60s when Spiegel ran a feature about the woeful state of the German Army at the time. Intelligence services ransacked their offices, their editor in chief was in jail for months, but nothing ever came off it, and it was generally discredited as an attempt by the government to scare journalists back in line.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiegel_scandal

Additionally, this happens at a time when there's heightened discussion about the rights and privileges of German intelligence services, and the seeming lack of oversight that is held over them. Not to mention the BND helping the NSA to keep tabs on Germany.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2015, 02:30:02 PM

It's two blog entries: "Secret money rain: Intelligence service works on mass analysis of social media content" and "Secret council: we present the new domestic intelligence unit for the increase of internet surveillance." Not sure how much info was given in each article, since they're both offline now.

Well we will see if anything happens. I think if I was one of one of those journalists and they actually brought charges against me I would be confident I could win unless they could show I really did something out of line.

Savonarola

I got roped into reviewing an application for a spectrum purchase  at work.  It's been going:

:frusty:

:bleeding:

Ide, I no longer blame you for not wanting to be a lawyer despite your law degree.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

They still make those?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Before you let Ide off the hook, remember he had three years to realize what he was getting into.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 30, 2015, 04:02:27 PM
Before you let Ide off the hook, remember he had three years to realize what he was getting into.

A fair point, I didn't make it to the first "Hereunder" (:bleeding:) before realizing I didn't want to keep going.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on July 30, 2015, 04:30:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 30, 2015, 04:02:27 PM

A fair point, I didn't make it to the first "Hereunder" (:bleeding:) before realizing I didn't want to keep going.

An engineer is criticizing someone for hard to understand jargon? :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.