News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

:lol:

NYC is nice in small doses.  Would never want to live there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Hah.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/23/2/187

QuoteDespite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Isn't it fairly well-known by now?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2015, 01:04:53 PM

Yes - leftists have often asserted that they're just plain smarter than right-wingers. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2015, 01:07:17 PM

Yes - leftists have often asserted that they're just plain smarter than right-wingers. :rolleyes:
I'm not talking about assertions.  I'm talking about scientific studies confirming that fact.

Syt

It looks at prejudice by seeing if people would support far right parties. Not whether they vote conservative.

Unless you say that all right-wingers are right-wing bigots. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2015, 01:09:02 PM

I'm not talking about assertions.  I'm talking about scientific studies confirming that fact.

Aren't sleeper agents supposed to, you know, sleep?

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2015, 01:22:35 PM
That's a widely-held misconception.  And what does it have to do with anything?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2015, 01:22:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2015, 11:15:30 AM
Manhattan maybe. The Bronx, no.

Those aren't cities so...

So averaged together, no. The outer boroughs bring you* down.

*yes, aware you're not living there atm.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2015, 01:09:02 PM

Even if there aren't any, mentioning them enough will make people think there are.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2015, 01:22:35 PM
That's a widely-held misconception.  And what does it have to do with anything?

You're a slippery one.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2015, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2015, 01:22:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2015, 11:15:30 AM
Manhattan maybe. The Bronx, no.

Those aren't cities so...

So averaged together, no. The outer boroughs bring you* down.

*yes, aware you're not living there atm.

I grant there isn't a magic way to rate cities, and if you want to average all the neighborhoods that is valid. But--the fact there are parts of a city you may not care for shouldn't diminish the city so much if you don't have a need to go there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014