News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

When I donate toys to Toys for Tots or some similar charity I always make sure to get something cool.  And semi-dangerous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
The oldsters at my workplace are all way overdue for retirement.  Most of them have grandfathered pensions waiting for them on top of their 401k and (at some point) Soshecurity but they're clinging on to their jobs anyway.  JUST LEAVE PLZ

The biggest demographic to get their asses kicked in the 2008 meltdown were individuals that were within 5-8 years of retirement.  Everyone's sticking around longer to make up for what other people lost for them.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
The oldsters at my workplace are all way overdue for retirement.  Most of them have grandfathered pensions waiting for them on top of their 401k and (at some point) Soshecurity but they're clinging on to their jobs anyway.  JUST LEAVE PLZ

The biggest demographic to get their asses kicked in the 2008 meltdown were individuals that were within 5-8 years of retirement.  Everyone's sticking around longer to make up for what other people lost for them.

The old guard in my company would have done fine even in 2008.  The company prior to my date of hire had an insanely generous pension plan and other grandfathered benefits.  I suspect these people are hanging on to pay for a second home, boat, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 11:53:56 AM
The old guard in my company would have done fine even in 2008.  The company prior to my date of hire had an insanely generous pension plan and other grandfathered benefits.  I suspect these people are hanging on to pay for a second home, boat, etc.

Have you asked them?

Considering your visceral hatred for the concept of pensions, I hope they eliminated it prior to your arrival, since I know you couldn't possibly live with yourself.   :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 11:51:42 AM

If they sold out at the bottom of the trough it's tough to pin that on someone else.  Wait a year and they're back where they were.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
Have you asked them?

No, but I've overheard stuff.  I generally try to avoid conversations with them as they involve hour-long narratives about their grandkids.

QuoteConsidering your visceral hatred for the concept of pensions, I hope they eliminated it prior to your arrival, since I know you couldn't possibly live with yourself.   :P

DING DING DING

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 12:03:14 PM
If they sold out at the bottom of the trough it's tough to pin that on someone else.  Wait a year and they're back where they were.

That's assuming we're talking about a self-directed plan. If it was a DB plan that just got rolled up or simply disappeared one way or the other, then you can pin it on someone else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 09:50:03 AM
I thought in a previous discussion it had been mentioned that a BM costs something like 40% more in OZ than the US. 

Also, that US price seems high for a non-combo BM.

Dunno about Big Macs but a regular Whopper is usually like $2.99.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2014, 12:13:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 12:03:14 PM

That's assuming we're talking about a self-directed plan. If it was a DB plan that just got rolled up or simply disappeared one way or the other, then you can pin it on someone else.

No, no, no...it's specifically the responsibility of the 62 year old to manage his 401K himself on an hourly basis when the market is cratering, not the investment houses using that money for its own gambling addiction.

The average US worker's 401k lost roughly 25% of its value in 2008.  That's the fault of the worker.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
The average US worker's 401k lost roughly 25% of its value in 2008.  That's the fault of the worker.

No it's not.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 10:58:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2014, 10:57:21 AM
I am not much a restaurant breakfast person so I've never had any of the McD breakfast items.

You're missing out.

The classic Egg McMuffin is probably the healthiest thing on their menu, and a divine breakfast sandwich as well.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 19, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2014, 10:58:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2014, 10:57:21 AM
I am not much a restaurant breakfast person so I've never had any of the McD breakfast items.

You're missing out.

The classic Egg McMuffin is probably the healthiest thing on their menu, and a divine breakfast sandwich as well.

:wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I'm fully devoted to the Sausage Egg McMuffin.

garbon

Nope. Though, I don't usually eat the ham slice on the sandwich either. I didn't like it as a young child and now have habit of taking it out, eaten it and then getting down to the sandwich. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

You know what would make the egg mcmuffin even better? If they replaced the biscuit with a couple pancakes. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?