News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
The naysayers were probably right about asbestos.

Were they right because they knew something, or were they right because they just happened to be?  That is the real question.  A difficult one to answer, too, because it is too easy to retroactively support knee-jerk reactions from the past when they turn out later to be founded.

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 07, 2014, 02:49:21 PM
The small ones relieve the pressure that would otherwise build up to a large release.

I'd like Ed to weigh in on this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I have my doubts there were any early doubters to the use of asbestos.  It seemed like a wonderful insulator at the time (In fact I don't think we currently have anything that works as well, which means there are still some very limited ongoing industrial use of asbestos).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 07, 2014, 02:50:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
The naysayers were probably right about asbestos.

Were they right because they knew something, or were they right because they just happened to be?  That is the real question.  A difficult one to answer, too, because it is too easy to retroactively support knee-jerk reactions from the past when they turn out later to be founded.
I don't know if they were right for the right reasons at the beginning, but eventually they were.  That was long before asbestos was essentially outlawed.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 07, 2014, 02:49:21 PM
The small ones relieve the pressure that would otherwise build up to a large release.

I'd like Ed to weigh in on this.

I get a lot of small ones before a big one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
I thought he was saying they could end European dependency on Russian gas.  I guess he thinks you guys have some sort of Union or something where the component states would consider the interests of the whole.  Crazy talk.

If you take the European level into account then the most interesting actor is neither the UK nor France, but Poland, who has Europe's largest reserves and is developing them agressively, precisely to reduce its dependance on Russian gas. Still, the UK is committed to fracking, a technique which has been used there since the 70s in the North Sea oil and gas fields, and has already approved plenty of exploratory operations in the country. France has banned it, but as has already been said they actually have a huge electricity surplus from nuclear plants. The puzzling actor is Germany, which has banned it, yet is also committed to closing down their nuclear plants and actually has a significative dependance on Russian gas.

MadImmortalMan

Have you guys seen these interactive commercials? They say push ok now to pause and learn more or whatever. Should I try it out?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 07, 2014, 07:23:06 PM
Have you guys seen these interactive commercials? They say push ok now to pause and learn more or whatever. Should I try it out?

Without a doubt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 01:36:16 PM
Try fracking instead;  it's good, and good for you.

fracking  :wub:

i might be headed to williston next summer! what an adventure  :)

mongers

So how long do people expect their iphone battery to last in a dire emergency?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2014, 04:44:21 PM

So how long do people expect their iphone battery to last in a dire emergency?   :hmm:

The Guide tells you how to build a generator out of bamboo, so you can keep the iPhone charged and the Guide going.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

My gay nephew got married.

Jacob

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 08, 2014, 07:46:59 PM
Were you invited?

No.  I don't think anyone here knew.  I just saw an email he sent my dad.  They're visiting Iowa together (we're having lunch) but he doesn't want his dad (and mom??) to know he's around.