And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2014, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 10:36:22 AM
There's a great imbalance in what my time is billed to clients vs. what I get paid.

Since you're going to make that equivalency between your job compensation and benefits package and his "terms strictly cash" temp work, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind putting him on your coverage as a dependent.

Even when healthcare (only benefit) is factored in, they make a steal on me.

But sure. It is pretty cheap to add a dependent to my healthcare coverage (/I likely wouldn't notice much in reduction from paychecks). He'll have to pay any out of pockets for any actual use though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2014, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 09:22:58 AM
I'm beginning to think part of your problem with the law is that you worked for some really crappy lawyers.

In Ide's defense, If I were billed out at $195/hour and only paid $21/hour, I'd be a little pissed, too.

When I started at Raytheon, I was paid $26.81/hour and billed out at $150. :P

CountDeMoney

Yeah, we all do.  I'm sure Minksy gets billed out as outrageously as my company bills me out, but we're not all playing on the same field, now are we?

garbon

Yeah Ide has always had the disadvantages of...well of what exactly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 09:22:58 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Yes, which is the moral-intellectual underpinning to billpadding.  "If I miss ______, Client will be put at a disadvantage!  Zealous advocacy requires ______ done, whether it costs $800,000 or not!"  And maybe it's even sometimes necessary.  Necessity is the mother of inefficiency, it seems.

I can't count the number of times I've advised not to bring claims or to settle claims or not to push some angle, and been told no we want to fight no holds barred, etc.
The bigger problem in my experience is trying to give sound, balanced advice and without losing the client's trust because he/she thinks you aren't enough of an "attack dog."

I'm beginning to think part of your problem with the law is that you worked for some really crappy lawyers.

I'm guessing you don't have much to do with your firm's e-discovery wing, if they have one.

Actually, part of my problem is I've too far from the locus of decisionmaking to see why things that seem obviously wasteful happen.  I suppose everything may have a rational explanation.

Quote from: garbonYeah Ide has always had the disadvantages of...well of what exactly?

Check your privilege, Stanford.

Quote from: MalthusCould this be the makings of a new "odd couple" reality show?

Somehow, I'm not sure the nation is ready for the southern heterosexual white guy quipping "check your privilege" at the black gay man.  But who knows?  Culture moves fast.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2014, 02:27:03 PM
Check your privilege, Stanford.

I knew you'd go for that weak dig. Of course, I don't think most of Languish went to Stanford so seems a bit irrelevant.

Malthus

Somehow, I'm not sure the nation is ready for the southern heterosexual white guy quipping "check your privilege" at the black gay man.  But who knows?  Culture moves fast.

It would be a Killer Komedy Klassic.  :D

Really, it has all the makings. Throw in the fact that the Black gay man is a Republican and the hetero White man is a Democrat.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Throw in a wacky neighbor and you might have something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2014, 02:55:30 PM

Have Lettow drop by on his way to the South with his bride.

Too wacky?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2014, 02:47:20 PM

It would be a Killer Komedy Klassic.  :D

Really, it has all the makings. Throw in the fact that the Black gay man is a Republican and the hetero White man is a Democrat.   ;)

I think you have something there.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2014, 03:01:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2014, 02:55:30 PM

Have Lettow drop by on his way to the South with his bride.

Too wacky?

That might be overkill.  How about Tamas the libertarian from a strange foreign land?  He could be the Andy Kaufman of the series.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
No surprise that Baltimore, Louisville and Austin make the all-American hipster list.  :P
Yes, we do have a whole hipster neighborhood.  Unfortunately there are a lot of interesting restaurants there so I have to go there sometimes.  It sickens me.  SICKENS ME.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Yeah, they are going to have to do a little better then that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017