News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2014, 08:21:58 PM
Capetal Mihali?  HIPSTER.  And a fascist.

But thank god he isn't a libertarian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2014, 08:21:58 PM
Capetal Mihali?  HIPSTER.  And a fascist.

He certainly stomped an iron-heeled boot down on my dig.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2014, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
Hey, I'll bet $5 that in a year this woman is doing doc review. :P

Deal.

Read in The Economist recently that there are now 100 million Chinese living in Africa.

10 million maybe... :yeahright:

100 million, no fucking way.

In 2011, it was estimated to be 1 million. It hasn't grown that much to either 10 or 100 million.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 22, 2014, 08:17:36 PM
Person polluting your private air with cigarette smoke?  HIPSTER.  Person passively aggressively asking you not to smoke?  HIPSTER.  Ad nauseum.

"Excuse me...I ordered a Zima, not Emphysema."

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on July 22, 2014, 09:51:18 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 09:45:52 AM
He's gay.  Thing is, everybody knows it except him.
and his wife. But she'll figure out soon enough.

Forget educated black men.  The worst thing in the world are gays taking our women.  THEY DON'T EVEN WANT 'EM C'MON
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2014, 09:51:27 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 03:39:55 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2014, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
Hey, I'll bet $5 that in a year this woman is doing doc review. :P

That probably depends on how her partner's career goes, and whether their relationship lasts.

Yeah, she's a real feminist icon, ain't she?

I discovered the hard way that it is very difficult to compete with artists and craftspeople (95% women) who were married to a partner with a serious paycheque. They didn't need to make any money from their art, but they did need to be seen as "working artists". So they could sell their stuff for a song - that way, they could tell all their friends they were selling their art, and not just being supported.

Some of them were, ikn fact, very talented. One in particular was my mother's "right hand woman" for several years at her studeo. She was very, very good - had first-class talent, way better than I ever was. She married ... a lawyer.

Was she born with a learning disability, or do you think the fumes from her crafts projects did it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 22, 2014, 08:17:36 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
No surprise that Baltimore, Louisville and Austin make the all-American hipster list.  :P

If it ever actually was a valuable description 'hipster' has pretty much devolved into an all-purpose disparagement for anyone you don't like, especially if they're young, or they're liberal, or they live in big cities, or they're over-educated, or they're rich but no Koch or Walton rich, or they are foodies.  Or hell, even if they have the self-respect to politely turn down the annual Crown outing to the pleated khaki liquidation sale at the Edmonton Gaol-&-Navy Surplus Cottage. 

But the term gets hung on anybody with just a characteristic or two, not a whole decked-out uniform.  41 y.o man who watches silent movies all the time?  HIPSTER behind his Florida IT colleagues' back. 13 y.o. from a working-class family hanging out in the mall in the cut-rate Bieber-inspired tight jeans?  HIPSTER to the security guards and his parents.  Park Slope parents who are all about domesticity and heavy policing of the neighborhood?  HIPSTER LESBIAN MOMS.  The loud post-collegiates in popped-collar polos playing Beirut they want to quiet down?  HIPSTERS.  Person polluting your private air with cigarette smoke?  HIPSTER.  Person passively aggressively asking you not to smoke?  HIPSTER.  Ad nauseum.

As someone who is desperately uncool, it helps me vent that these assholes that I'm pretty sure I could beat up are getting more pussy than me.

...Oh, my quotation mark key is broken.  I was just trying to describe the mindset.
Kinemalogue

The Larch

No wonder than Malasaña is Spain's representative on that list, although it's a neihbourhood that has always been "trendy".

Josquius

What annoys me about hipsters is they appropriate so much typically indie stuff that I like anyway whether t be trendy or not.
They're even taking over real beer too. :(
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Yes, which is the moral-intellectual underpinning to billpadding.  "If I miss ______, Client will be put at a disadvantage!  Zealous advocacy requires ______ done, whether it costs $800,000 or not!"  And maybe it's even sometimes necessary.  Necessity is the mother of inefficiency, it seems.

I can't count the number of times I've advised not to bring claims or to settle claims or not to push some angle, and been told no we want to fight no holds barred, etc.
The bigger problem in my experience is trying to give sound, balanced advice and without losing the client's trust because he/she thinks you aren't enough of an "attack dog."

I'm beginning to think part of your problem with the law is that you worked for some really crappy lawyers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2014, 12:27:17 AM

Was she born with a learning disability, or do you think the fumes from her crafts projects did it?

I think it was desire on her part to live an (upper) middle-class lifestyle with all the trimmings, and still do her art.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 09:22:58 AM
I'm beginning to think part of your problem with the law is that you worked for some really crappy lawyers.

In Ide's defense, If I were billed out at $195/hour and only paid $21/hour, I'd be a little pissed, too.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2014, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 09:22:58 AM

In Ide's defense, If I were billed out at $195/hour and only paid $21/hour, I'd be a little pissed, too.

There's a great imbalance in what my time is billed to clients vs. what I get paid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 10:36:22 AM
There's a great imbalance in what my time is billed to clients vs. what I get paid.

Since you're going to make that equivalency between your job compensation and benefits package and his "terms strictly cash" temp work, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind putting him on your coverage as a dependent.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2014, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 10:36:22 AM

Since you're going to make that equivalency between your job compensation and benefits package and his "terms strictly cash" temp work, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind putting him on your coverage as a dependent.

Could this be the makings of a new "odd couple" reality show?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius