News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2014, 05:42:28 PM
Well you said "you."  I don't know from Mongers.

Spoken like a true lawyer.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Has anyone ever used a salt sauna?
I encountered one last night and didn't have a clue how to use it. What so you do with the salt? It goes on you or the heater or....?

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2014, 11:23:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
In the US' defense though, modern asian architecture is pretty much just cement.

I'm not really sure why this is something we need a defense on.

Anyway, shouldn't you be writing "defence"?
Blame my phone and it's so called autocorrect.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2014, 07:57:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2014, 11:23:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
In the US' defense though, modern asian architecture is pretty much just cement.

I'm not really sure why this is something we need a defense on.

Anyway, shouldn't you be writing "defence"?
Blame my phone and it's so called autocorrect.

I just thought you were going all America on us. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Dad's buddy at the dog park passed away;  massive stroke at 66.  Vietnam Marine, sniper and drill instructor.  3 Purple Hearts, the Silver Star and the Cross of Gallantry, which I had never heard of but was apparently conferred by the South Vietnam government.

While the stroke was the final nail, I think the three Purple Hearts had a bit more to do with it.  Had some real problems.  A decent man.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2014, 05:42:28 PM
Well you said "you."  I don't know from Mongers.

It was a good answer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2014, 01:08:58 AM
Unless they know something we don't, there's absolutely no possibly of a murder charge sticking.

"Depraved heart murder." :contract: Commonwealth v. Malone.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

The people I adopted my cats from friended me on Facebook. I'm worried that if I post too many cute photos of them they'll want them back.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2014, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 18, 2014, 04:55:32 PM
But yeah, despite that, I would love it if my wife had a high paying professional job, so I could just "be creative" all day, and make tons of great art.  :) That would rock - at least, in theory.

Don't kid yourself, you will get used to the extra income. Or am I just projecting?  :hmm:

We are simple folk - I think we could survive at $200-$250K a year or so.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2014, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 18, 2014, 02:48:09 PM
Who is the non Bieber dude?

In other news, this is the most awesome way to quit a big law job ever.

Only because no one's set fire to the building yet.

QuoteA bit of a long read, but I think worth it.

http://www.departurememo.com/

In related news, Ide, there is a legal job opening out there.

LOL.

So, on one hand, I'm annoyed as fuck by her privileged circumstances (all but unexamined, of course), the excruciating urban whiteness of it all, and what may or may not be considered an exploitative relationship if the genders were reversed.  On the other, she waited until she'd paid off her loans, I don't doubt for a minute her job sucked shit, and despite Malthus' dead BigLaw eyes, she's a talented visual storyteller (albeit a terrible figure artist).  My favorite part was the thought balloon with her arm and middle finger upheld pasted over reality.  That's good stuff.  (Was it undermined by a second, less effective use?  Sure.)

If I also would prefer more honesty, I don't blame her for not telling the truth, which is that most of the people she worked with were lying, slavedriving assholes and she literally would not blink if she learned that they died.  (She called them cyborgs, which was about as close as she could get without potentially alienating potential future employers, although she has done that already.)

I wish her luck.

B

My dead BigLaw eyes rate your movie reviews at higher than that, but I still don't think it would be wise for you to attempt to live off the trade of movie reviewing - despite them being very entertaining.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Hey, I'll bet $5 that in a year this woman is doing doc review. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on July 18, 2014, 07:29:34 PM
You know Ide, I think you are wrong.

Never went through big law, so my experience may not really apply, but I went through a big accounting firm where the work hours were quite extreme--a few nights I pulled true all nighters without sleep, once not even going home to change and shower. Some of my best friends I met working there, and I look forward to firm events that I get invited to because I love catching up with those people. Her story resonates with me, as does a kind of admiration for the guys that stick it out all the way. If they are like the people I know, the cyborg thing has the machine part being their absurd capacity for work, with the human part still remaining.

This prompted me to think back when I first was out of school starting in public accounting. There was a guy that I started with--nice guy--but the work started to make him crack up. I was sent out to one of his audit jobs briefly to help wrap things up, and I saw heard him at the copier saying to himself "Mohammed, you sure made a mess of this didn't you? You ruined this audit." Keep in mind there were probably a half dozen people on the audit and for a guy a few months out of school to single handedly ruin the audit would be a genuine accomplishment.

He quit after about six months. I just googled him to see what he is up to. I'm sure everyone will be shocked to know he got a law degree. He apparently works for a small firm in Alabama. This is what is in his profile:

"Muhammad's accounting experience helps him assess the potential risks and benefits of a proposed legal strategy or business transaction."

Really? A few months as a terrible accountant can do that?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

You expect people to be honest in their resumes/linkedin profiles? :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
Hey, I'll bet $5 that in a year this woman is doing doc review. :P

That probably depends on how her partner's career goes, and whether their relationship lasts.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2014, 12:08:57 PM
You expect people to be honest in their resumes/linkedin profiles? :lol:

That is what his profile at his law firm website says. Now should we expect honesty from a law firm?  :hmm: :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014