News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Uh, yeah that was a bit of an odd thing to say. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

He's gay.  Thing is, everybody knows it except him.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 09:45:52 AM
He's gay.  Thing is, everybody knows it except him.
and his wife. But she'll figure out soon enough.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 03:39:55 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2014, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
Hey, I'll bet $5 that in a year this woman is doing doc review. :P

That probably depends on how her partner's career goes, and whether their relationship lasts.

Yeah, she's a real feminist icon, ain't she?

I discovered the hard way that it is very difficult to compete with artists and craftspeople (95% women) who were married to a partner with a serious paycheque. They didn't need to make any money from their art, but they did need to be seen as "working artists". So they could sell their stuff for a song - that way, they could tell all their friends they were selling their art, and not just being supported.

Some of them were, ikn fact, very talented. One in particular was my mother's "right hand woman" for several years at her studeo. She was very, very good - had first-class talent, way better than I ever was. She married ... a lawyer.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

The part of Copenhagen where I live comes in 4th in a Top 10 Hipster Neighbourhood List.

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/top-10-hipster-neighborhoods-on-earth-williamsburg-new-york-tops-our-list

I'm not sure if I feel proud.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Hipsters usually like stuff because it is cool. To dislike it because they like it would be a very hipsterish thing to do.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2014, 09:57:10 AM
The part of Copenhagen where I live comes in 4th in a Top 10 Hipster Neighbourhood List.

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/top-10-hipster-neighborhoods-on-earth-williamsburg-new-york-tops-our-list

I'm not sure if I feel proud.

I love how the comments are all like 'this is so last year, the cool hipsters are now over in this different part of Copenhagen'

Hipsters :rolleyes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2014, 10:52:48 AM
Hipsters usually like stuff because it is cool. To dislike it because they like it would be a very hipsterish thing to do.

Disagree. Hipsters generally don't like what is mainstream "cool." I don't think it is hipster-like to dislike hipster neighborhoods. I'm not a big fan of Williamsburg myself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

No surprise that Baltimore, Louisville and Austin make the all-American hipster list.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
No surprise that Baltimore, Louisville and Austin make the all-American hipster list.  :P

Seedy, Cal, and I liked Languish before it was cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Does anyone know why and when Celebes / Sulawasi changed names?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Probably people felt Celebes was a poor transliteration.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM

If it ever actually was a valuable description 'hipster' has pretty much devolved into an all-purpose disparagement for anyone you don't like, especially if they're young, or they're liberal, or they live in big cities, or they're over-educated, or they're rich but no Koch or Walton rich, or they are foodies.  Or hell, even if they have the self-respect to politely turn down the annual Crown outing to the pleated khaki liquidation sale at the Edmonton Gaol-&-Navy Surplus Cottage. 

But the term gets hung on anybody with just a characteristic or two, not a whole decked-out uniform.  41 y.o man who watches silent movies all the time?  HIPSTER behind his Florida IT colleagues' back. 13 y.o. from a working-class family hanging out in the mall in the cut-rate Bieber-inspired tight jeans?  HIPSTER to the security guards and his parents.  Park Slope parents who are all about domesticity and heavy policing of the neighborhood?  HIPSTER LESBIAN MOMS.  The loud post-collegiates in popped-collar polos playing Beirut they want to quiet down?  HIPSTERS.  Person polluting your private air with cigarette smoke?  HIPSTER.  Person passively aggressively asking you not to smoke?  HIPSTER.  Ad nauseum.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Capetal Mihali?  HIPSTER.  And a fascist.

garbon

Maybe but I think it is pretty safe to label Williamsburg a hipster place. Youth in tacky clothing and an affection for off-beat shops + old timey homages in the form of barbershops? All checks out.

Btw, this one sounds more like just a group of losers rather than hipsters*. :contract:

QuoteThe loud post-collegiates in popped-collar polos playing Beirut they want to quiet down?

*and if were to be put in a category fratty bros.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.