And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 11:27:31 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2014, 09:07:55 AM
The trouble is if the Poles, Czechs and Slovaks are central Europe then that leaves eastern Europe as just the Baltics and shit countries.

The Baltics are Nordic.

wut
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Slutty Miley is hotter than wholesome Miley.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 12:55:20 PM
Slutty Miley is hotter than wholesome Miley.

I find both of them quite unattractive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Long haired Miley is hotter(or less un-hot by internet standards) than Buzz-cut Miley.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 12:54:57 PM
The trouble is if the Poles, Czechs and Slovaks are central Europe then that leaves eastern Europe as just the Baltics and shit countries.

The Baltics are Nordic.

wut

Sush, I am trolling.  :glare:

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 12:54:57 PM

The Baltics are Nordic.

wut

Sush, I am trolling.  :glare:

Good.

Ideologue

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 12:27:04 PM
You still have a few plans drawn up for Europe, don't you? Bloody Germans.  <_< :hug:

Lol check out Alsace-Lorraine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on April 16, 2014, 12:25:29 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 08:18:16 AM
No it doesn't. Or I'm talking about something else. Central Europe always used to be quite a fraught term. There was a large argument between whether it was a liberal dream of German and Austrian ruled Mitteleuropa while Czech liberals wanted a 'Stredni Evropa'. But as a cultural zone it did definitely exist. Now I think Germans use the more neutral term 'central Europe' too.

Then you had the Cold War and the entire region ended up solidly Eastern. I think it's great that the Czechs and the Poles and the Slovaks have agency again and are busy recreating this idea politically and culturally. I love that they're making the point that they're not Eastern European and have never been Eastern European, except for 50 years when they were forced into it.

Germany's half-in, they get invited to the official dos, but they're not members. I think Vaclav Havel described Germany as a country with one foot in Central Europe.

Germany considers itself, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia and the Baltic states as Central Europe.

The colors indicate the countries belonging to each region, the lines indicate where the cultural border is seen.
:hmm: You guys are still not over that whole Alsace-Lorraine deal?

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2014, 01:05:57 PM
You still have a few plans drawn up for Europe, don't you? Bloody Germans.  <_< :hug:

:mad:

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2014, 01:05:57 PM

Yeah I noticed that believe me :angry:  And the southern Tyrol.  Basically Germany and Austria-Hungary.  Time to do a retool on Plan 17.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, South Tyroleans still speak predominantly German. Or rather what they think is German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

"Nach Kulturräumlichen Kriterien". Yeah, they're coming for you, Marty and Tamas.

Eddie Teach

They already got Marty. Well, "they" being Neil and the mods.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2014, 01:04:19 PM
Long haired Miley is hotter(or less un-hot by internet standards) than Buzz-cut Miley.

Fag.

Eddie Teach

No thanks, those things will kill you.