News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

RIP :(

I listened to an interview with an opera director on the radio today. He was talking about his current production which is set in Russia.

Interviewer: This is a piece about pro-European and reactionary forces in conflict, you must have found some connection there with the current situation?

Director: It would be extremely crass to make any connection with Ukraine. These are not just Russian factors - a corrupt police and anti-Europeanism - they are universal factors. We've been inspired by looking at Ukip for example.

Me: :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2014, 08:15:52 PM
Very nice.  Aggressive-looking without being douchebaggy.  :thumbsup:

:)  That's what I was aiming for.  I think I'm pretty much done with it, aside from some minor things like maybe some light brackets on the bumper if I feel like I need them.  I do think I want to stick a backup camera on there though, which would require some sort of touchscreen receiver in the dash or a fancy new rearview mirror.  The touchscreen is just begging to be broken in and stolen when I forget to take the faceplate in with me but they're so nice.  My wife has a bigass 8.2" one in the dash of her new ride that's pretty spectacular. 

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2014, 10:43:31 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2014, 03:49:44 AM
Competing with Derspicy for sputnik sized melon is what it means.

No way.  I'm 7 3/8.  Dunno how someone can be size 9 without being a waterhead.  No offense to MiM of course.

I'm 7 5/8.  We need Teh Brain to weigh in on what kind of phrenological significance can be derived from a 9... :hmm:

EDIT:  I bought a warm winter hat off the internet sized at 7 1/2 and it ended up being just a little too tight to wear comfortably. :( That's when I finally got my head measured properly.  I might have also done it once a long time ago when fitted ballcaps were in vogue.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 07:51:36 PM
I might have also done it once a long time ago when fitted ballcaps were in vogue.

Everybody jump the hipster.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Watched a BBC interview with Marine Le Pen. It was interesting because it was on the high-brow news show, so she was subtitled not dubbed. Two thoughts:
1 - She sounds a bit like Thatcher. I wonder if, like Thatcher, she got a vocal coach to lower her voice or if she's always been that deep?
2 - She's very good. It is maddening watching how many times nice, no doubt liberal bourgeois journalists interview a populist street fighter and get absolutely mauled.

Edit: Also am I the only person who just can't bring myself to buy trousers advertised as 'chinos' even if I like them? :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2014, 07:58:47 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 07:51:36 PM
I might have also done it once a long time ago when fitted ballcaps were in vogue.

Everybody jump the hipster.

:lol:  I'm thinking back to when I was 10 or 11.  And doing my best to pretend I cared about sports of the day to fit in with my peers.  I saved up my odd-job money to get a fitted cap, which was much more expensive (cost at least $15) than the regular ratchet-strap ones I'd been wearing.  Curving the brim was very important, too.  I think I wore a Braves cap, since it was my dad's team and I didn't have to stake out a position in the Yankees/Mets battleground.

Ed Anger

I once wore a Michigan shirt to High school on the week of TEH GAME.

Boy, I was spoiling for a fight that week. My asshole meter was set to '11'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
I once wore a Michigan shirt to High school on the week of TEH GAME.

Boy, I was spoiling for a fight that week. My asshole meter was set to '11'.

:lol:  I bought a Michigan ball cap at a sporting goods as a kid around the same time, for no real reason other than I liked the team name (Wolverines!) and the color scheme. :D  That became a prized possession I kept for years, curving the perfect brim and intentionally letting it get dirty and worn (as if I'd been playing SERIOUS BASEBALL).  It seemed like it worked out for me with the other kids, though nobody really knew from college sports.

What I really wanted was a Starter jacket, especially a Raiders' one. :blush:  But it was too expensive and I was worried I'd get called out as a poser.

11B4V

Good on the Park.

QuoteA wounded lion almost had her leg ripped off when a male buffalo gored her. Emergency vets scrambled to the middle of the Masai Mara Nature Reserve in Kenya when they heard about Siena's life threatening injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBitJwoNy70
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

FWIW hat size 62 is a little too tight for me. I hope that's a different scale though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 08:30:18 PM
Watched a BBC interview with Marine Le Pen. It was interesting because it was on the high-brow news show, so she was subtitled not dubbed. Two thoughts:
1 - She sounds a bit like Thatcher. I wonder if, like Thatcher, she got a vocal coach to lower her voice or if she's always been that deep?
2 - She's very good. It is maddening watching how many times nice, no doubt liberal bourgeois journalists interview a populist street fighter and get absolutely mauled.

I think her voice got deeper with her heavy smoking habit. UK-only show I guess.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2014, 02:07:21 AM
FWIW hat size 62 is a little too tight for me. I hope that's a different scale though.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point