And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I bought a cowboy hat in Medford, Oregon. Black, naturally. There was only one other customer in the store. When he gave the clerk his phone number, it had a 775 area code. Sure enough, he was also from Reno. It was amusing. Not overly so, but hey you gotta take what you can get.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

We did some wine tasting in the Applegate Valley. We stayed in an old lodge. It was cool. They were proud of the fact that Zane Grey and Clark Gable had stayed there in the past. The frogs are a thing for Mrs. MIM. Croaking frogs help her sleep. Reminds her of Ohio or something. In any case, nice place. Would go again.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2014, 02:24:51 PM
We did some wine tasting in the Applegate Valley. We stayed in an old lodge. It was cool. They were proud of the fact that Zane Grey and Clark Gable had stayed there in the past. The frogs are a thing for Mrs. MIM. Croaking frogs help her sleep. Reminds her of Ohio or something. In any case, nice place. Would go again.

I hit a couple places when I was out that way for work a few years ago.  It was a painful project and a horrible client to work with, but we did some fun shit out there in our spare time.  Beautiful scenery.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

There is a pair of doves who made a nest on my patio. There is a shelf in the corner there. Right next to the sliding glass door. They made the nest on the top shelf. It's literally right against the window. When we left for Seattle, they had two eggs in the nest. Now, there are two chicks in there. The parents still sit on them.

MadImmortalMan

I'll have to make sure I don't let the cat out while the babies are trying to learn to fly.  :P

The Brain

Coming down is the hardest thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 03:50:37 PM
Coming down is the hardest thing.

Life will beat them down. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Your sig goes well with that post :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2014, 04:24:16 PM
Your sig goes well with that post :D
:lol: If it wasn't Kate Bush season I'd have a new avatar.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Btw I took my son with me to a semi-upscale place for lunch when we were out running errands a few weeks ago.  About the only thing on the menu that sounded good to him was a corn dog with fries.  I figured they'd do something upscale-y with it and it turns out that instead of a hotdog inside was sausage made from Egyptian goat.  Of course Tommy stopped eating it when the waiter told us what it was, so I finished it and it was: very good.

Norgy

Goat is very underrated. And while they eat almost anything, their ecological footprint isn't huge. Their apetite for anything remotely chewable is, though. I watched goats chew off the coating of electrical wiring and get a bit too frisky on the copper wire afterwards. Lesson learned.

Jacob

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 05:06:52 PM
Goat is very underrated. And while they eat almost anything, their ecological footprint isn't huge. Their apetite for anything remotely chewable is, though. I watched goats chew off the coating of electrical wiring and get a bit too frisky on the copper wire afterwards. Lesson learned.

I was under the impression that goat herding was a contributing factor to desertification, in that the way the goats graze they tend to destroy the root cultures of the plants they eat.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2014, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 05:06:52 PM

I was under the impression that goat herding was a contributing factor to desertification, in that the way the goats graze they tend to destroy the root cultures of the plants they eat.
Their eating habits (eating plants right to the root bed) and also their very feet mess up the soil IIRC.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.