News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2014, 10:46:17 AM
Ah, so when they say "ban bossy" they mean the reprimand, not the action?  OK, makes sense.

It is another battle in the long war to save our kids' self-esteem.

QuoteLike we really need an entire generation of shrill, high maintenance women.

Oh Yi...dear dear Yi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:50:13 AM

Self-esteem: the one thing children these days clearly lack.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2014, 10:50:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Sometimes it's cute, though.  When Lola tries to boss me around I can't help but play along.  She even tries to talk to me like adults speak to small children.

Oh yeah not all of us will.  But eventually she will annoy an adult doing that and will get reprimanded.  There is an important part of socialization to:  learning that adults are not around to fulfill your every whim and that they are in charge and not you.  Of course it could also be derailing a budding CEO career.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 10:52:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:50:13 AM

Self-esteem: the one thing children these days clearly lack.  :lol:

'When I grow up I will be the immortal ruler of all humanity!'

'That is great honey you can be anything you want!'

Grey Fox

I need to stop yelling at my oldest. She has started yelling back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 02, 2014, 10:57:53 AM
I need to stop yelling at my oldest. She has started yelling back.

I only yell when he yells at me.

'DAAAADDDYYYY!'

'DAAAAVVVVIIDDDD!'

'Hey Daddy stop yelling at me!'

Grey Fox

I yell alot, I'm a loud person by default so when angry, it's only louder.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:53:01 AM
Oh yeah not all of us will.  But eventually she will annoy an adult doing that and will get reprimanded.  There is an important part of socialization to:  learning that adults are not around to fulfill your every whim and that they are in charge and not you.  Of course it could also be derailing a budding CEO career.

She's about to turn 3 and I think it's mostly that she knows she has me wrapped around her little finger.  She doesn't appear to be bossy to others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

This whole ban bossy thing is such bollocks <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2014, 11:11:08 AM
She's about to turn 3 and I think it's mostly that she knows she has me wrapped around her little finger.  She doesn't appear to be bossy to others.

Three year olds tend to do that.  Challenging power dynamics is part of their development at that age.  My son certainly tries to order us around.

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2014, 11:14:17 AM
This whole ban bossy thing is such bollocks <_<

Love your Avatar
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

My girls will punch other kids their age when they don't obey.

OBEY
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2014, 03:19:24 AM
QuoteGerman airline Lufthansa is to cancel 3,800 flights on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday because of a strike by pilots over pay and working conditions.

The airline said 425,000 passengers would be affected by the stoppages.

It says that it has sent 100,000 text messages and emails to people who have booked on its flights in an attempt to prevent chaos at airports.

Emergency sleeping and food has been made ready at bigger airports for those who did not get the warning messages.

Fun!

This conversation happened a couple weeks ago for real:

Mrs. MIM--"We're going to Europe, what if there's a strike?"

MIM--"Just don't buy the tickets on an Italian airline and we'll be fine. If you're not sure, stick to Lufthansa."

:lmfao:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

They do look somewhat humanoid when seen like this:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.