News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2014, 03:19:24 AM
QuoteGerman airline Lufthansa is to cancel 3,800 flights on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday because of a strike by pilots over pay and working conditions.

The airline said 425,000 passengers would be affected by the stoppages.

It says that it has sent 100,000 text messages and emails to people who have booked on its flights in an attempt to prevent chaos at airports.

Emergency sleeping and food has been made ready at bigger airports for those who did not get the warning messages.

Fun!

No big deal.  Only about .087% of the EU's population is affected.  This means it doesn't really matter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 10:52:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:50:13 AM
It is another battle in the long war to save our kids' self-esteem.

Self-esteem: the one thing children these days clearly lack.  :lol:

God knows I lacked it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2014, 11:14:17 AM
This whole ban bossy thing is such bollocks <_<

Concur.  All bossy children should be insulted, right to their stupid, dirty faces.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2014, 04:05:07 PM
We share ancestors.

I still like them, stewed in a wine sauce...mmmm...
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2014, 10:50:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Sometimes it's cute, though.  When Lola tries to boss me around I can't help but play along.  She even tries to talk to me like adults speak to small children.

I'm sure you'll set that shit straight when she's old enough to be told she can't be a doctor, because girls should be nurses instead, Mr. Traditional Gender Roles.

derspiess

I would think you of all people would show some respect for the nursing profession.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Save it, Mr. Traditional Gender Roles.  You'll need the strength for the Clear Heels Phase of fatherhood.

Razgovory

Holy fuck, my sciatica has come back.  I've had it for about a week, but it's really hurting tonight.  Seems to come back in spring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:18:29 AM
That is the reason kids have problems in Middle School.  It is because as toddlers somebody called them bossy.
You don't think negative language effects people?

That being said, I'm not for policing anyone else's language.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2014, 06:59:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2014, 10:50:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
Granted any kid who asserts themselves is going to be reprimanded because adults tend to be annoyed by that sort of thing.

Sometimes it's cute, though.  When Lola tries to boss me around I can't help but play along.  She even tries to talk to me like adults speak to small children.

I'm sure you'll set that shit straight when she's old enough to be told she can't be a doctor, because girls should be nurses instead, Mr. Traditional Gender Roles.

Nursing might be a better job these days.  High pay with much less liability and crushing school debt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2014, 09:49:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:18:29 AM
That is the reason kids have problems in Middle School.  It is because as toddlers somebody called them bossy.
You don't think negative language effects people?

That being said, I'm not for policing anyone else's language.

I am not completely against the sentiment, but it is just a little over the top to suggest using the word Bossy has such overwhelming and devastating long term consequences.  I also am suspicious of the notion that some 3 year old boy throwing tantrums and demanding everybody do what he says is praised as a leader.  I certainly have never seen that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:51:30 PM
Nursing might be a better job these days.  High pay with much less liability and crushing school debt.

Hardly.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 02, 2014, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 09:51:30 PM

Hardly.

The intense competition for spots in nursing schools and the large number of men entering the profession disagree.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2014, 08:03:51 PM
Mr. Traditional Gender Roles. 

That really sticks in your craw, doesn't it?  :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

At least that sticks to you.

Meanwhile, I can do my cartoon villainy under the radar while you take the bricks to the face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive