News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2014, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: FB postI really appreciated the depth of thought put into this. Both in research and decision. I have struggled greatly with my white friends who have dreads because they are good people and I love them dearly, but it still hurts when I feel they don't understand why its offensive. I realize it's impossible to relay that concept to every single white person with dreads I run into and I've put a lot of energy into trying to let go of that anger and hurt so it doesn't bog me down.
It gives me a lot of faith and hope that there are people out there like this who are willing to show true allyship, self reflection and solidarity. Thank you.

http://shaynastock.wordpress.com/?p=700&preview=true

Shayna?  :bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:57:52 AM
Sure I run into them, but they can speak English.  Generally it is really bad here.  A lot of second or third generation Mexican immigrants can barely speak Spanish.  It makes no sense but there it is. 

I was disappointed by Mexico's ranking in that study.  Not only are they pathetic for being a country bordering the US, but it's actually getting worse.

Not surprised at all by Argentina.  It's hard to run into someone down there that doesn't speak passable English.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2014, 05:42:47 AM
I was analysing this with my co-worker the other day. It really doesn't make sense in places.
http://www.ef.nl/epi/

As Swedes go I suck at English.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2014, 11:41:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 10:08:22 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
PS : Spain and Italy strike me as having English levels comparable to France, judging by work acquaintances with comparable backgrounds, that is not so good.

Yeah the French are really bad at English.  I found that amazing considering they have it every single year of school but according to the French people I met they just never use it.  As an American I totally get that.  You could teach us Spanish 5 hours a day for 20 years and we would still be terrible. 

I would imagine with the internet that is changing though right?
One out of ten Americans speak Spanish though, there's no English speaking minority to speak of in France. Aren't you from Texas? Don't you run into Spanish speakers regularly?

Sure I run into them, but they can speak English.  Generally it is really bad here.  A lot of second or third generation Mexican immigrants can barely speak Spanish.  It makes no sense but there it is.

It makes some sense, as it's something promoted by recent inmigrants to increase the chances of success of their descendants. Look no further than our own Timmay.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2014, 11:38:54 AM
Picking a good headset/headphone is the hardest thing ever. Especially when you don't want to spend more than ~80$

Right now I use Sony MDR-100s but they are dieing & I'd like something louder and maybe something USB based instead of 3.5mm, my front connector on my case died.

I like Logitech's G430 or Afterglow Universal Wireless Headsets.

Languish, any opinion on the subjects?

Not really. First class is the way I live my life.

MadImmortalMan

The center might be in Arkansas soon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

:x Thank God for standard deviation.

The Brain

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: FB postI really appreciated the depth of thought put into this. Both in research and decision. I have struggled greatly with my white friends who have dreads because they are good people and I love them dearly, but it still hurts when I feel they don't understand why its offensive. I realize it's impossible to relay that concept to every single white person with dreads I run into and I've put a lot of energy into trying to let go of that anger and hurt so it doesn't bog me down.
It gives me a lot of faith and hope that there are people out there like this who are willing to show true allyship, self reflection and solidarity. Thank you.

Wow you have got to be kidding me.  But that does not even make any sense dreadlocks have been a style in dozens of cultures all over the world, why would it be especially offensive to any one person?

I find dreadlocks offensive - they are damn ugly.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 31, 2014, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:27:19 AM

Wow you have got to be kidding me.  But that does not even make any sense dreadlocks have been a style in dozens of cultures all over the world, why would it be especially offensive to any one person?

I find dreadlocks offensive - they are damn ugly.  :P

Yeah that's why I chose my words carefully and didn't just say white people wearing dreads as offensive. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

That league table of languages is weird. Morocco had a lot of very good English speakers. I don't think I met someone who couldn't speak at least some English and many were superb.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 07:59:46 PM
That league table of languages is weird. Morocco had a lot of very good English speakers. I don't think I met someone who couldn't speak at least some English and many were superb.

Really? I went there some years ago and I could barely find anyone who talked it.  In French is traditionally how you get around in that part of the world.

Admiral Yi

Maybe you have to know the secret gay handshake.  :secret: