And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 06:30:40 AM
Disagree wholeheartedly.  What's offensive should be determined by consensus, not fiat.

You are just setting yourself up to feel unsafe and oppressed Yi.

Oddly that stemmed from a discussion about white people and how terribly oppressive it is when they have dreadlocks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 10:08:22 AM
I would imagine with the internet that is changing though right?

I think so, but the SMS spelling is prevalent on the Internet for teenagers e.g T TRO LOL (I'll let you guess what it means). I still think my generation has a much better English than the parents' generation but I'm not a teenager who only knows SMS spelling if we're going by clichés, with some basis on reality.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on January 30, 2014, 11:56:35 PM
I think we get something like 10 homicides a year here (for roughly 700k inhab). The closest I've ever been to one was when they found the walled in corpse of one of the neighbours down the hall. Found the killer back in Cuba IIRC.
Wow.  That's even more impressive considering you guys don't have guns to protect yourselves.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2014, 10:17:22 AM
Disagree wholeheartedly.  What's offensive should be determined by consensus, not fiat.

Oddly that stemmed from a discussion about white people and how terribly oppressive it is when they have dreadlocks.

Man it does not take much to oppress people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2014, 05:42:47 AM
I was analysing this with my co-worker the other day. It really doesn't make sense in places.
http://www.ef.nl/epi/

Portugal is high proficiency?  Did IKK move to Brazil or something??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 10:21:41 AM

We are a people that love our offensensitivity.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2014, 10:24:37 AM
I was analysing this with my co-worker the other day. It really doesn't make sense in places.

Portuguese people are actually quite adept at learning new languages. Us Spaniards get to play imperialist when we visit, as most Portuguese will know enough Spanish to strike a conversation, while it's really difficult to find a Spaniard with enough fluency in Portuguese for that.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 10:21:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2014, 10:17:22 AM

Quote from: FB postI really appreciated the depth of thought put into this. Both in research and decision. I have struggled greatly with my white friends who have dreads because they are good people and I love them dearly, but it still hurts when I feel they don't understand why its offensive. I realize it's impossible to relay that concept to every single white person with dreads I run into and I've put a lot of energy into trying to let go of that anger and hurt so it doesn't bog me down.
It gives me a lot of faith and hope that there are people out there like this who are willing to show true allyship, self reflection and solidarity. Thank you.

http://shaynastock.wordpress.com/?p=700&preview=true

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2014, 11:09:54 AM

Portuguese people are actually quite adept at learning new languages. Us Spaniards get to play imperialist when we visit, as most Portuguese will know enough Spanish to strike a conversation, while it's really difficult to find a Spaniard with enough fluency in Portuguese for that.  :lol:

Unless it's a Galician who speaks a Northern Portuguese dialect anyways.  :P

Back to der Spiess
Compared to Spain, Italy and France, for sure. ;)
Besides, IKK's English is a good as his Portuguese, his mother language. :D
I'm more sceptical of Austria being in the top tier as well.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2014, 11:12:57 AM

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2014, 11:09:54 AM

Unless it's a Galician who speaks a Northern Portuguese dialect anyways.  :P

We're an oddity.  :lol:

I remember when I was doing my Erasmus in Rome I was at a party, and I started chatting with this Portuguese dude in a room of the house we were in, with plenty of other people around. Then at some point there were only Portuguese people in the room, and somebody started talking about "os fodidos espanhois" and I said something like "hey guys, I'm right here", and somebody else said "You're Galician, you don't count".  :P

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2014, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: FB postI really appreciated the depth of thought put into this. Both in research and decision. I have struggled greatly with my white friends who have dreads because they are good people and I love them dearly, but it still hurts when I feel they don't understand why its offensive. I realize it's impossible to relay that concept to every single white person with dreads I run into and I've put a lot of energy into trying to let go of that anger and hurt so it doesn't bog me down.
It gives me a lot of faith and hope that there are people out there like this who are willing to show true allyship, self reflection and solidarity. Thank you.

Wow you have got to be kidding me.  But that does not even make any sense dreadlocks have been a style in dozens of cultures all over the world, why would it be especially offensive to any one person?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Picking a good headset/headphone is the hardest thing ever. Especially when you don't want to spend more than ~80$

Right now I use Sony MDR-100s but they are dieing & I'd like something louder and maybe something USB based instead of 3.5mm, my front connector on my case died.

I like Logitech's G430 or Afterglow Universal Wireless Headsets.

Languish, any opinion on the subjects?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
PS : Spain and Italy strike me as having English levels comparable to France, judging by work acquaintances with comparable backgrounds, that is not so good.

Yeah the French are really bad at English.  I found that amazing considering they have it every single year of school but according to the French people I met they just never use it.  As an American I totally get that.  You could teach us Spanish 5 hours a day for 20 years and we would still be terrible. 

One out of ten Americans speak Spanish though, there's no English speaking minority to speak of in France. Aren't you from Texas? Don't you run into Spanish speakers regularly?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2014, 11:12:15 AM

Wow you have got to be kidding me.  But that does not even make any sense dreadlocks have been a style in dozens of cultures all over the world, why would it be especially offensive to any one person?

Indeed, there were thankfully several comments in that direction on the linked posted.

It seems some people might quite an effort to just be offended at all times.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2014, 11:41:42 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
PS : Spain and Italy strike me as having English levels comparable to France, judging by work acquaintances with comparable backgrounds, that is not so good.

Yeah the French are really bad at English.  I found that amazing considering they have it every single year of school but according to the French people I met they just never use it.  As an American I totally get that.  You could teach us Spanish 5 hours a day for 20 years and we would still be terrible. 

One out of ten Americans speak Spanish though, there's no English speaking minority to speak of in France. Aren't you from Texas? Don't you run into Spanish speakers regularly?

Sure I run into them, but they can speak English.  Generally it is really bad here.  A lot of second or third generation Mexican immigrants can barely speak Spanish.  It makes no sense but there it is.