And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2014, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 03:50:03 PM
QuoteTo delegitimize my identity is to delegitimize the experience of my enslaved ancestors who worked hard and fought harder to finally receive freedom from enslavement. To be AfroDominicana is to acknowledge the past that goes unspoken and unrecognized, the past showcased in the texture of my hair, the language I speak, the food I eat, and the music I dance to.

How does one go about delegitimizing an identity? :hmm:

Presumably by saying that doesn't make sense as an identity label.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 05:52:41 PM
Presumably by saying that doesn't make sense as an identity label.

Sure...but that would be insane.  There is nothing nonsensical about being a black Dominican. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I think I would take issue with the label AfroDominicana. Sounds ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 06:08:56 PM

Ah ok so if you say that term is ridiculous you are 'delegitimizing' her enslaved ancestors.  Man touchy people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2014, 06:14:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 06:08:56 PM

Ah ok so if you say that term is ridiculous you are 'delegitimizing' her enslaved ancestors.  Man touchy people.

Yeah pretty over the top.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 30, 2014, 05:43:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Was Seedy briefly hired by MSNBC?  :hmm:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/30/msnbc-apologizes-for-cheerios-tweet-rnc-fires-back/

Blocking MSNBC was one one of the best things I did for my TV sanity.

Their tweet seems accurate though. People did flip out on the mixed race family Cheerio ad.

Eddie Teach

That tweet was not CDM's style.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 06:23:08 PM

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/30/msnbc-apologizes-for-cheerios-tweet-rnc-fires-back/

Their tweet seems accurate though. People did flip out on the mixed race family Cheerio ad.

No, they flipped out on MSNBC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2014, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2014, 06:23:08 PM

No, they flipped out on MSNBC.

I mean MSNBC's deleted tweet. After all:

QuoteThe Cheerios commercial features the same biracial family that appeared in an ad for the cereal brand last year. The ad sparked controversy after highlighting a family with a white mother and a black father.

Also, we already had the conversation about racists when the prior ad debuted.

Ed Anger

I think we can agree that MSNBC is for retards.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 30, 2014, 07:29:40 PM
I think we can agree that MSNBC is for retards.

Well, of course.

Ed Anger

Hear hear!  Motion carries!

CountDeMoney

You're not Leaning Forward, Ed.

Then again, you can't or you'll fall over your walker.

Ed Anger

The head of MSNBC just buckled under to Darth Reince.