News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 27, 2014, 11:39:33 AM
Maybe I'm too much of a nerd...but I often find it interesting/educational to have to look up an outdated reference from old movies and such.

Yeah for me not so different to looking up some of the British references. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 11:40:26 AM
Maybe I'm too much of a nerd...but I often find it interesting/educational to have to look up an outdated reference from old movies and such.

Yeah for me not so different to looking up some of the British references. :blush:

Apropos to my edit!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 11:38:18 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 27, 2014, 11:34:10 AM
It isn't different. Both should be avoided if possible.

Imagine some show where the characters are jabbering about their MySpace pages.

I don't see why. I think many shows reference contemporary trends/products/events and are still watchable/relevant later on. Now it might prove problematic if comprehending the show relies on understanding those references (so a whole episode on Jezebel, let's say) but I don't think that's done often.

Somewhat different, one of the things I love about The Mindy Project is it does reference things like Myspace and Aaliyah. Throwback references are great.

People can't be rational about Girls, one way or the other, so it's best to leave it alone.  Like other flashpoint subjects, such as Israel/Palestine, abortion, the War of 1812, etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 27, 2014, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 11:40:26 AM

Apropos to my edit!

:D :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
People can't be rational about Girls, one way or the other, so it's best to leave it alone. 

I'm rational about it. Saw first episode, found it fairly dull, stopped watching.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

The thing I hate most about Lena is her tats.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Nah it's her personality. She could be hot as hell and she'd still be a terrible person.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Personality, tats, and pear-shaped body all make her rather awful.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on January 26, 2014, 06:53:52 PM
So do we, apparently.

QuoteAt Volkswagen's Chattanooga plant, the nonunionized new employees get $14.50 an hour, which rises to $19.50 after three years.

That's about what a unionized new employee now makes at the Big 3.  Workers hired before the introduction of the two-tier system still make $28/hr.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 27, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
People can't be rational about Girls, one way or the other, so it's best to leave it alone. 

I'm rational about it. Saw first episode, found it fairly dull, stopped watching.  :homestar:

Yeah, me too.  I was rather rational about not being impressed.

Josephus

So I "worked from home" today, which meant a couple of hours of sitting on the couch surfing you tube.

Was surprised at how much uncensored full length skin flicks from the 70s are on it. You know the Jess Franco sexploitation or Ilsa SS type stuff.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

LaCroix

-40s and -50s lately (with windchill). it's fun seeing reactions from those raised out of state  :)

Liep

As I cycled home today I was stopped by a woman asking if I could help her. This being Denmark I didn't expect to be robbed so I stopped and said: "Yeah?". I certainly wasn't expecting her follow up.

"Will you.. fuck me?" I was momentarily stunned, I mean, it was that sort of neighbourhood, but she didn't look Eastern European or Nigerian. Or could she simply be a direct kinda gal?

"Will you fuck my ass?" I cycled off shaking my head as response and in disbelief.

"Well, fuck you!" People have no manners these days.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Quote from: Liep on January 27, 2014, 07:45:51 PM
As I cycled home today I was stopped by a woman asking if I could help her. This being Denmark I didn't expect to be robbed so I stopped and said: "Yeah?". I certainly wasn't expecting her follow up.

"Will you.. fuck me?" I was momentarily stunned, I mean, it was that sort of neighbourhood, but she didn't look Eastern European or Nigerian. Or could she simply be a direct kinda gal?

"Will you fuck my ass?" I cycled off shaking my head as response and in disbelief.

"Well, fuck you!" People have no manners these days.
and here I thought you were a good Samaritan Liep :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: HVC on January 27, 2014, 07:46:56 PMand here I thought you were a good Samaritan Liep :(

Really.  So much for neighborliness in 21st century Denmark.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)