News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Well most of us don't read Jezebel (besides Ed) so judge away.   ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 27, 2014, 09:45:20 AM
I assume the manatee was naked. Blech.

Dunham was topless if that's what you are referring to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Anyone else noticing various things down in the teh interwebs? I can't hit up Morningstar, Ameritrade, Fidelity, Marketwatch. WSJ is really crawling. Yahoo, Hotmail, Facebook and Netflix are showing on the monitors as "likely service disruption".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

I've developed a massive craving for curry over the afternoon. Now wiling it away looking up recipes, very tempted by an egg curry :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 09:51:36 AM

How did that make you feel?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2014, 11:15:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 09:51:36 AM

How did that make you feel?

Just a bit of confusion on why it was necessary to watch her get dressed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

It's a bad idea to mention specific websites on TV shows. I think something like that would cause the show to date too quickly. You have to think how it will come across when the show is in syndication ten, fifteen years from now.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 27, 2014, 11:26:04 AM
Or watch her at all.

Well watching tv isn't necessary so seems like a snarky tangent.

I'm not sure how mentioning a specific website is different from mentioning any product/trend that might only be specific to that era.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2014, 11:30:20 AM

I'm not sure how mentioning a specific website is different from mentioning any product/trend that might only be specific to that era.

It isn't different. Both should be avoided if possible.

Imagine some show where the characters are jabbering about their MySpace pages.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 27, 2014, 11:34:10 AM
It isn't different. Both should be avoided if possible.

Imagine some show where the characters are jabbering about their MySpace pages.

I don't see why. I think many shows reference contemporary trends/products/events and are still watchable/relevant later on. Now it might prove problematic if comprehending the show relies on understanding those references (so a whole episode on Jezebel, let's say) but I don't think that's done often.

Somewhat different, one of the things I love about The Mindy Project is it does reference things like Myspace and Aaliyah. Throwback references are great.

Tonitrus

That kind of thing happens all the time with Disney/Pixar cartoons and their present-day cultural references.

Tonitrus

Maybe I'm too much of a nerd...but I often find it interesting/educational to have to look up an outdated reference from old movies and such. 

I notably remember having to do that quite a lot when I first watched "Yes Minister", just to understand many of the British-isms (Black Hole of Calcutta? WTF?)