News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Just got my car jumped.  So I figure I need to go buy a new battery.

Are they tough to put in?  What tools do I need?

Should I buy jumper cables or one of those booster boxes?

katmai

No, pretty easy.
Some wrenches to loosen the connectors on old battery and tighten them back on new one.
I carry cables in my car out of habit, no experience with Booster boxes, but have battery charger/jump starter at home to try and recharge batteries as common with subfreezing temps of them freezing up.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

On the issue of the new battery, is it correct to assume based on dieing once I need a new one?  Or could it just be the cold?  How does one know?

PDH

See if it holds a charge.  If you let it sit after running it for a while and it doesn't crank easily it is probably time for a new one.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Pimpin' ain't easy, but it's lucrative (maybe):

QuotePimp sues Nike for not labeling shoes 'dangerous'

After brutally beating a man with his Nike Jordan shoes, a pimp filed a $100 million lawsuit against Nike for not providing a warning label that their shoes could be used as a dangerous weapon.

In June, Sirgiorgio Sanford Clardy, 26, or Portland, Ore., repeatedly stomped on the face of a client with his Jordan shoes when the man refused to pay Clardy's prostitute. The man required stitches and plastic surgery after the beating, The Oregonian reports.

The newspaper reports that the jury also found Clardy guilty of robbing the man and beating the 18-year-old woman he forced to work as his prostitute; her injuries were so severe that she bled from her ears.

Clardy, who is representing himself, is asking a Multnomah County judge to order Nike to put warning labels on all their "potentially dangerous Nike and Jordan merchandise."

Clardy handwrote a three-page complaint from the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution in Pendleton where he is incarcerated, the newspaper reports.

The complaint says that Nike "failed to warn of risk or to provide an adequate warning or instruction" that their shoes are a "potentially dangerous product."

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

QuoteSirgiorgio Sanford Clardy, 26, or Portland, Ore.,

His names are weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2014, 02:10:10 PM
Just got my car jumped.  So I figure I need to go buy a new battery.

Are they tough to put in?  What tools do I need?

Should I buy jumper cables or one of those booster boxes?

I also had to change my battery recently and I was told that ye olde cables are no longer recommended because cars nowadays have so much internal programming that it can screw it up.

How old is your battery? Mine was 4 years old when I had to change it.

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing it's around 8 years.  But pretty low mileage.

Is it mileage or age that matters?

Ideologue

Age.

Oh, for cars.  Mileage.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Actually, that's just a sexist joke.  For batteries I'm pretty sure it is age, and eight years for a battery seems immensely long.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Lifespan for car battery are 5-7 years if i recall correctly.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2014, 04:29:48 PM
I'm guessing it's around 8 years.  But pretty low mileage.

Is it mileage or age that matters?

8 years and it needed jumping - time to get a new one, I think. It's already lasted longer than average.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2148013/car-battery-life-expectancy