News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
I was the one who called her a housekeeper. I get no credit.

I was wondering why you weren't rich enough to have a white housekeeper.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
I was the one who called her a housekeeper. I get no credit.

I was wondering why you weren't rich enough to have a white housekeeper.

I do. Well at least the service I use uses whitey and the ones with the real deep tans.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 06:05:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 05:45:16 PM
Do you seriously--seriously--want to have a movie so insensitive and insulting as to pretend segregation didn't happen?

I think it is more insulting to insist on continuing that segregation. If the movie is about race or race is closely tied up in the plot then yes, I think that race should probably be a factor in casting decision. But if not, no.

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 05:45:16 PM
It could have its place, I suppose, and Captain America would be one of the better arenas to experiment with it.  But would you be so sanguine if, as I suggested earlier, Garett Hedlund really were cast as the King of Wakanda?

I'd prefer we did away with the Black Panther. Said name has already been sufficiently co-opted at this point. But no I wouldn't be upset if a non-black actress played Storm.

This is a little off-topic, but I was always weirded out by the Black Panther/Storm marriage and the "They're Africans... from Africa!" rationale that seemed to drive it.  But I guess it worked out okayish; it'd be difficult to depict on film in any event, due to the Fox/Marvel split of the comics properties.  As for "Black Panther," the name is rad, but call the dude T'Challa for all I care.  I love that dude.  I like heroes that are also monarchs; it sets them decisively apart from the angsty "where is my place in this cruel world?" hero.  On the other hand, class implications.

I also like Klaw.  He's made of, and can create objects from, SOLID SOUND.  Which could come off awesome in a movie.

Anyway, I hope you're fucking with me about the racism thing.  Although we disagree and I understand your rationale, my whole point was that it strikes me as more racist to whitewash things, unless it's so unmistakably unrealistic that it doesn't matter. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 06:18:34 PM
Anyway, I hope you're fucking with me about the racism thing.  Although we disagree and I understand your rationale, my whole point was that it strikes me as more racist to whitewash things, unless it's so unmistakably unrealistic that it doesn't matter. :(

I don't think you are racist, though I do think your view on the matter is backwards. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Admiral Yi

MadBurgerMaker

My wife got a new job.   :)  Cool.

E:  That picture:  Also cool.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2014, 09:32:44 PM
My wife got a new job.   :)  Cool.

E:  That picture:  Also cool.
What will you do with the increased income? :)

MadBurgerMaker

Buy Jeep stuff, of course.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

Youtube, fuck you.
One year ago: Hey, do you want to switch to use your real name on youtube? No? OK.
6 months ago: Hey, do you want to switch to use your real name on youtube? It's better. No, there's no no button. You want to right? Ask you later? Ugh...OK.
3 months ago: So do you want to use your real name yet? Here's a no button finally...Really? Oh shucks. Why not? OK...
1 month ago: Hey, so you're using your real name now. It is decided.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

It would appear sticky balls destroy cancer.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2014, 01:25:08 PM
@barrister particularly, but also malthus

how do canucks fair with american law degrees (we're not talking from ivy league or anywhere close to prestigious universities) when they return to canada to practice law? there's a sizable minority of canucks in my class, and most intend on returning to winnipeg/manitoba upon graduation

In Ontario at least, they have to get articling positions in Ontario in order to pass the bar here. Dunno about Manitoba (BB would know). That can be kinda difficult for graduates from non-prestigious US universities, in Ontario at least - the assumption being that if you had to go to such a university, you must not have had good enough marks/LSAT to get into a Canadian one (otherwise, why would you pay the much-higher US fees if you wanted to practice in Canada?).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2014, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2014, 04:54:17 PM
A picture of a high school girl is posted, and not a single lewd comment is made? Languish is dying after all.

I took Malthus' "Donkey Show" comment to be both lewd and racist.

I win!  :showoff:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius