Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2013, 09:46:18 PM
Her?  :lol:
You've become a caricature of yourself.

Methodist church, graduated from a seminary in NYC and ministered to a congregation in upstate for 15 years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2013, 10:02:24 PM

Methodist church, graduated from a seminary in NYC and ministered to a congregation in upstate for 15 years.

Good for her.

Honestly, though.  I may have been spoiled by having had the best Methodist minister ever throughout most of my childhood.  He was a Duke grad, very intellectual, my best friend's dad, and really a second father to me.  He set the bar awfully high.

Female ministers come across like Rev. Stroup on King of the Hill.  Difficult to take them seriously.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2013, 09:58:47 PM
No, it's just that he takes what women say with a grain of salt.  For a few days each month, a *huge* grain of salt.

He?  Tim?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

chipwich

I was surprised when I saw in Wikipedia that the Union had twice as many casualties in the ACW. What are the causes of that?

DGuller

Quote from: chipwich on October 15, 2013, 11:50:38 PM
I was surprised when I saw in Wikipedia that the Union had twice as many casualties in the ACW. What are the causes of that?
Quantity vs. quality?  Leadership?  Union being on the attack for most of the war?

CountDeMoney

Grant.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2013, 11:54:54 PM
Quantity vs. quality?  Leadership?  Union being on the attack for most of the war?
A little of number 2, a little of number 3.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2013, 10:02:24 PM

St. Paul is rolling over in his bed in Heaven.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Change of purchasing power in Europe, 2008-2012:

(Zuwachs = Increase, Rückgang = Decrease)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

People in Belarus love Kraftwerk?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Well I did something stupid.  I took my dad to work, and my mom wanted to pick her up a Mocha Frappe.  I initially refused but she asked my dad and he told me to do it.  So on the way back I stopped at McDonalds.  It was on those two lane deals and I was letting the guy on the inside lane pull up when the guy behind me honks.  I ignore him like usual and he just starts honking like crazy.  Well nobody out crazies Raz, so I got out and asked if he a problem, and he said he needed to get to work.  I explained to him that his course of action was not conductive to him achieving that goal, and that he should refrain from the behavior in the future because might upset someone.  I asked if "we were cool", and he grumbled "yeah", so I went back to my car and picked up that goddamn coffee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017