News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 09:03:47 PM
True. And a local boycott campaign against Starbucks (for not paying tax) and for Costa (for paying tax) managed to drive Starbucks away :lol:

Edit: Also Tesco were allowed to build a supermarket, but only if they built it on the outskirts and built the town a small stadium.

Similarly Waitrose are building a huge new shop, but first they had to build a new council building and now have to redevelop a small area in the middle of town :lol:

Interesting. 

Salisbury's got a huge Waitrose, fairly close to the 'city' centre, I don't know how they got away with it.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Well, Salisbury's got issues. Just look at the Hampton Park development <_<  :bleeding:

Trouble is Salisbury city goes between Lib Dems and Tories, but Wiltshire's a one party state. Once a planning decision's made there's really nothing to be done :(

Edit: Another example:
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/10727081.Pressing_ahead_with_bus_stops_despite__no_public_support_/?ref=mc
:rolleyes:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 09:19:16 PM
Well, Salisbury's got issues. Just look at the Hampton Park development <_<  :bleeding:

Trouble is Salisbury city goes between Lib Dems and Tories, but Wiltshire's a one party state. Once a planning decision's made there's really nothing to be done :(

Edit: Another example:
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/10727081.Pressing_ahead_with_bus_stops_despite__no_public_support_/?ref=mc
:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's a green lane right next to that estate that I need to check out in the next couple of weeks.

The bus station decision just looks daft.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 08:48:02 PM

That should be sold only as a means of putting together a proscription list! :bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on October 14, 2013, 08:56:33 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 08:27:28 PM
:lol: In similar news apparently Brixton is about to get a Waitrose :o

And now I'm going to have The Clash stuck in my head all night:

When they kick out your front door
How you gonna come?

Discreetly at the library, or maybe in the Starbuck's bathroom if their wifi is working.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2013, 09:50:26 PM

How you gonna come?

Discreetly at the library, or maybe in the Starbuck's bathroom if their wifi is working.

Actually I believe businesses like Starbucks extend their wifi to the outside of their stores. :shutup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Old, but still funny. The Danish language becomes unintelligible to its speakers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

How you gonna come?

:lol:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

How you gonna come?

:lol: 

So with your hands on the trigger of your gun, I take it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

I'm staring at the Christmas tree stuff right now. Do I erect it now, or wait until the weather turns shitty? The ball of tangled lights sits there, silently judging me.

Also, the wiccans across the street have a lighted pentagram for Halloween. I want to light a cross on their lawn in response. Stupid wiccans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Whats the point in putting up a  christmas tree? It serves no utility and you'll only have to take it down again in a few weeks.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

:lol:  I wish I had your free time.

Hand out Chick Tracts for trick or treat to counteract their wiccanness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2013, 08:46:41 AM
Whats the point in putting up a  christmas tree? It serves no utility and you'll only have to take it down again in a few weeks.

But if Ed sets it up now, he can leave it up for 3 months.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall