News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

You could spend fifteen years in imaginary training.  I've heard that can be put to use.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2013, 02:49:26 AM
You could spend fifteen years in imaginary training.  I've heard that can be put to use.
:unsure:

An Ajuma like that shop lady can do a lot more for good or ill than I can.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

I was able to find a good Southern-style honky tonk with live bluegrass, which has confederate flags and figurines of Confederate soldiers. (Disappointingly, none of them are little girls..) There, I was able to communicate the necessity of transmitting Southern culture, its inherent flaws and inadequacies, and how this relates to transience and mono no aware.

The lady (her title regained), defended her actions as being submission to my presumed desires; if she truly did not act out of base and impure motivations but rather a proper and praiseworthy desire to put others' preferences above her own, to the point of sacrificing her own value and decency, this is poignantly defensible. We stumbled over a discussion on the immorality of abortion, and I feel bringing Stannis's baseborn nephews into the discussion as a parable on the importance of treasuring kin and blood over expedience may have muddled things.

Needless to say, this is a very favorable turn of events. Life is quickly approaching the happy equilibrium of fulfillment that leaves no regrets, and a lack of binding ties that turn existence into a semimandatory prison.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

I think part of the story is missing there. You go right from finding a bluegrass bar to speaking of a lady regaining a title.

QuoteLol, calling the cops on wife beating in an Asian country.  That shit's funny.
I  don't know about Korea, I would assume its similar, but in Japan if I were to call the cops for such a thing then they would come and they would make a big deal  of it. Its not like they've too much other crime to deal with and most importantly the wife beating was so bad that it bothered the neighbours, a foreign neighbour at that, how dare the husband shame Japan like so!
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Holy shit, it's Columbus Day.  Not a holiday for us, per se, but it means I get zero calls or "urgent" emails from annoying clients as I'm heading out to lunch, or to an important meeting, or leaving for the day.  Might actually get some shit done today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on October 13, 2013, 12:12:07 PM
How big is the Madeleine story in England these days? I mean, if it can continue to make headlines here...
The Daily Express have been doing a 'new' story a week. I believe that other papers are joining in because the Scotland Yard taskforce have made progress so there's actually news.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 08:39:20 AM
How big is the Madeleine story in England these days? I mean, if it can continue to make headlines here...
The Daily Express have been doing a 'new' story a week. I believe that other papers are joining in because the Scotland Yard taskforce have made progress so there's actually news.

It's on MSNBC's front page today.  America loves missing kid stories.

Ed Anger

As long as they are white. Chocolate kids, not so much.

MAH FEBREEZE' IS MISSING. OH MAH LAWD!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I'm thinking of getting the Christmas tree down from the garage attic, staring at the tangled lights and then punching myself in the nuts.

merithyn

What progress has been made?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 14, 2013, 08:46:25 AM
I'm thinking of getting the Christmas tree down from the garage attic, staring at the tangled lights and then punching myself in the nuts.

"Got a knot here, Russ"  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on October 14, 2013, 08:47:13 AM

They have top men working on it right now.  Top. Men.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 14, 2013, 08:51:13 AM

"Got a knot here, Russ"  :D

:)

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on October 14, 2013, 08:47:13 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/14/british-detectives-efits-madeleine-mccann-suspect
QuoteThe face of a suspect in the investigation of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has been released to the public by detectives.

Police have issued two efits that they believe are descriptions of the same man, who is now being sought as a priority by the British detectives leading the new McCann inquiry.
It is only now, after Metropolitan police detectives cross-referenced all the information gathered by Portuguese detectives, private investigators and the mobile phone data from the resort, that the significance of the witness statements has been fully understood. In an appeal to be broadcast on Monday night on BBC1's Crimewatch, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood of the Metropolitan police will call for anyone who recognises the man to contact him immediately.

A 25-minute reconstruction of the events of 3 May 2007, with a child actor playing Madeleine, will also demonstrate that the accepted account and timeline of events on the night she went missing six years ago is wrong, police say.
The significance of the man has come to light as detectives have analysed tens of thousands of documents from the original investigation and mobile phone footprints in the resort on the night the child went missing.

Redwood said: "Our work to date has significantly changed the timeline and the accepted version of events that has been in the public domain to date."
Redwood said: "Through meticulously drawing together specific information, the team has been able to refocus the timeline and now places more significance on events that night.

"The timeline we have now established has given new significance to sightings and movements of people in and around Praia da Luz at the time of Madeleine's disappearance.

"I hope that when the public sees our investigative strands drawn together within the overall context of that appeal, it will bring in new information that moves our investigation forward."
Basically the Portuguese police fucked up a lot and then tried to blame the parents.
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

:thumbsup:
and the horse you rode in on