News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Can't fucking sleep. <_<

Am debating whether to work to our mega-super-bonus (not that mega or super, does not even equate to time and a half) and put three days in over the weekend, or just put it a straight eight and achieve regular bonus (which would equate to time and a half).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2013, 03:58:24 AM
Can't fucking sleep. <_<

Am debating whether to work to our mega-super-bonus (not that mega or super, does not even equate to time and a half) and put three days in over the weekend, or just put it a straight eight and achieve regular bonus (which would equate to time and a half).

What's the opportunity cost?

If you've got a rockin picnic or road trip or party you could go to, do that.  Otherwise, clock the hours and take the loot.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 25, 2013, 02:21:15 AM
I know it was a painting. Whether a specific photo inspired the artist, I dont know. But the Star Wars one you posted, doesnt really bother me. More like..meh..how unimaginative.

But the original painting is very powerful IMO.

My parents have a print of that painting in the house somewhere; Mom lost her high school boyfriend in the 'Nam.  She's not all Jane Fonda about the war, but it still pisses her off.

Ed Anger

The vader thing. It was...timmay dreadful.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on May 25, 2013, 02:09:04 AM
*Though a version of the classic Iwo Jima flag raising photo with Imperial Stormtroopers raising a flag over the base at Hoth would be pretty funny.

Now that would be cool.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 25, 2013, 02:09:04 AM
Yep.  Is that based on a "real"photograph or is that an original work of art?

I suppose I could understand people thinking it was in poor taste if an actual photograph of an actual person was altered like that*, but I just can't see how anyone could get upset about an original work of art (that most people probably would never recognize) being altered.

*Though a version of the classic Iwo Jima flag raising photo with Imperial Stormtroopers raising a flag over the base at Hoth would be pretty funny.

I don't see why. That actual painting goes in the same vein in the memorial.

But then I don't see the Star Wars one as clever, so it loses that defense too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2013, 08:54:30 AM
The vader thing. It was...timmay dreadful.

At first I thought that was who posted it. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2013, 09:05:56 AM
I don't see why. That actual painting goes in the same vein in the memorial.

I suppose it's the "taste value" between a winning memorial and a sucky, sad one.

QuoteBut then I don't see the Star Wars one as clever, so it loses that defense too.

Yeah, not clever.  Just...there.

sbr

Fine, well I guess it is dreadful.

*slams door*

fhdz

Quote from: sbr on May 25, 2013, 01:28:32 AM
I wouldn't hang a print of it in my living room, but the first couple of times I saw it I thought it was clever.

Anyone that is offended by that picture needs to get a grip.

More than anything else, I just find myself sitting here wondering about the thought processes of the piece's creator.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on May 25, 2013, 10:55:47 AM
More than anything else, I just find myself sitting here wondering about the thought processes of the piece's creator.

Vader lost a lot of people during the Rebellion, people he knew dating back to the original Death Star.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2013, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on May 25, 2013, 10:55:47 AM

Vader lost a lot of people during the Rebellion, people he knew dating back to the original Death Star.

It's truly heartbreaking.

IF YOU ARE THE GIANTEST NERD EVER
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Survivor's guilt is a bitch, even for a Sith Lord.

Tonitrus

He was never the same after losing Tarkin.  He was probably like a father to him.  :(