News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

And the effect of income on real estate prices is another segregating factor.  People of moderate income just can't afford to live in San Francisco or Manhattan.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2013, 06:40:13 PM
They say that a person's income will gravitate toward the median of that of the people with whom he regularly associates over time. I wonder if simply moving to a place full of rich people would have a similar effect.

Why not if you can get one of those rich people to get you a job?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 07:13:56 PM
And the effect of income on real estate prices is another segregating factor.  People of moderate income just can't afford to live in San Francisco or Manhattan.

Though on the flipside, a good cross-section of companies have to pay more so that their workers can afford to live in commuting distance to work / pay for basic things like food.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

So Lettow, any word how your paper was received?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 05:20:55 PM
I've met all of them, but I was just a kid. I'm from the lefty side of the family, so I doubt they'd listen to me.

I visited Søren's brother - Steen - last time I was in Denmark, but we didn't discuss politics at all. He is all into obscure Danish military history; which is reasonably fascinating :)

Overwhelming Prussian and German military victories aren't that obscure, are they?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 06:58:17 PMThat would make for an incredibly intense and incredibly short conversation.

You'd be surprised. There's plenty of obscure Danish military history. It's the non-obscure stuff that's hard to come by.

He's spent years writing and collecting facts about a minor British invasion of a small island (on which the family used to vacation, actually) some hundred and fifty years ago or so. It was something like one ship and a handful of marines, but confusion and the stout resolution of the defenders saw them off... or something, I don't even remember, but it was an interesting conversation for an hour. And the subject was perfect for skirmish level war gaming too, I thought.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 05:20:55 PM
I've met all of them, but I was just a kid. I'm from the lefty side of the family, so I doubt they'd listen to me.

I visited Søren's brother - Steen - last time I was in Denmark, but we didn't discuss politics at all. He is all into obscure Danish military history; which is reasonably fascinating :)

Remember Hemmingstedt! :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 11:33:27 PM
He's spent years writing and collecting facts about a minor British invasion of a small island (on which the family used to vacation, actually) some hundred and fifty years ago or so. It was something like one ship and a handful of marines, but confusion and the stout resolution of the defenders saw them off... or something, I don't even remember, but it was an interesting conversation for an hour. And the subject was perfect for skirmish level war gaming too, I thought.

?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Possibly related to the thieves that stole the strategic Maple Syrup reserve of Canada:
Thieves Make off with Five Tons of Nutella in Germany
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/09/thieves-make-off-with-five-tons-of-nutella-in-germany/#ixzz2PyAPi0qC

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on April 09, 2013, 04:37:28 AM

?

More obscure than that: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaget_om_Anholt

(and apparently it was a British victory)

Phillip V

"Ever wonder why a pirate wears patches? It's not because he was wounded in a sword fight," says Dr. Sheedy. Seamen must constantly move between the pitch black of below decks and the bright sunshine above.

Smart pirates "wore a patch over one eye to keep it dark-adapted outside." Should a battle break out and the pirate had to shimmy below, he would simply switch the patch to the outdoor eye and he could see in the dark right away—saving him 25 minutes of flailing his cutlass about in near blindness.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323646604578404581544768850.html

Syt

Isn't that old news? Even the MythBusters did that a few years ago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 08:54:43 AM
Quote from: Liep on April 09, 2013, 04:37:28 AM

?

More obscure than that: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaget_om_Anholt

(and apparently it was a British victory)

And the irony of that is there are probably quite a few 'Danish' invasions/landings in Britain that are all but unexamined by a historian.
Hell even something as significant as the wars with the Dutch and are only know by a tiny percentage of the population, and I'd be surprised if more than 1% knew about the Dutch landings on the Kentish coast, which were more than just a few dozen soldiers. 

Some of it might be, popular history likes to make a point of having only been invaded one in 1000 years, Hastings, so everything else of a amphibious variety gets redefined,1688 for instance, or forgotten about. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Maybe under the 'bad ad placement' thread would be better:

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon