News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2013, 02:40:20 PM
Some of it might be, popular history likes to make a point of having only been invaded one in 1000 years, Hastings, so everything else of a amphibious variety gets redefined,1688 for instance, or forgotten about.

Yeah, how many people remember the French invasion of 1216-17, for example?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

King Louis.  The first chance France and England had to be united.

If that had happened...which country would have chopped off the head of the King first?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Warsaw this weekend, and just booked trips to St. Petersburg and Moscow later in the summer. Good good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on April 09, 2013, 04:14:31 PM
Some of it might be, popular history likes to make a point of having only been invaded one in 1000 years, Hastings, so everything else of a amphibious variety gets redefined,1688 for instance, or forgotten about.

Never forget :weep:

Some invasions don't have long-lasting effects and some do. Who can ignore the impact of the sacking of Southampton in 1338?
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Bought a Danish microbrew at the liquor store the other day. A bit too hoppy for my taste, but whatever.

Reading the label, it proclaims to be an American inspired pale ale and goes into the specific American hops used and their qualities. It's a while since it started, but the American craft brewing revolution seems to have had a global impact beyond destroying the "American beer = pisswater" truism.

I'll have a drink to that :cheers:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Was it Mikelob?

But yeah there's loads of American-style craft breweries and bars in London now :)

Edit: Not Mikelob, Mikkeller? :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on April 09, 2013, 06:19:23 PM
Warsaw this weekend, and just booked trips to St. Petersburg and Moscow later in the summer. Good good.

Been to Warsaw and Moscow, but always wanted to go to St. Petes. Dont think I ever will. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2013, 07:01:43 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 09, 2013, 04:14:31 PM

Never forget :weep:

Some invasions don't have long-lasting effects and some do. Who can ignore the impact of the sacking of Southampton in 1338?

You can see some burn marks on the few remaining bits of the walls, which might date from then.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 08:43:57 PM
Bought a Danish microbrew at the liquor store the other day. A bit too hoppy for my taste, but whatever.

Reading the label, it proclaims to be an American inspired pale ale and goes into the specific American hops used and their qualities. It's a while since it started, but the American craft brewing revolution seems to have had a global impact beyond destroying the "American beer = pisswater" truism.

I'll have a drink to that :cheers:

:cheers:  We had some serious catching up to do, but we're making up for it.  I'd still rate Belgium as the best brewing country, but nobody is innovating like the US is these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2013, 09:17:25 PM

But yeah there's loads of American-style craft breweries and bars in London now :)

In many places over here it's reached bubble-status, I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

If anyone of you is interested in doing business in India I'm forwarding this offer I've just received in my email.

QuoteCompliment,

Am Dr. David Grey, From London UK, Married with 2 children, I work as medical research consultant i am working with Amason International Laboratory Company UK.

I got your contact from Indo London Chamber of Commerce in United Kingdom and i decided to contact you directly for a business transaction with my company if you can understand English and India Language (Hindi).

Our company is into production of Pharmaceutical products and vaccine medicines to fight against dangerous diseases like, Cancer, Hiv vaccines, Asmer vaccines and many more.

I have been travelling to Malaysia, Indonesia and Pakistan to purchase this product Aspen Native Root but this product is very scarce now and i discovered this product in India during my last research in India 2012 but due to the car accident i have i can not travel to India now to get this product Aspen Native Root.

As my company demands this product Aspen Native Root 500 sachets very urgent

that is why i am looking for a trusted and honest business partner from India whom i will introduce to my company as the direct local farmer of Aspen Native Root in India, if you are interested in this business

reply me of my e-mail ([email protected]) so i will send you more details regarding this business.

Thanks
Regards
Dr. David Grey
Medical Research Consultant

I presume Asmer is supposed to mean Asthma.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

He started with a compliment, how nice.

Does doctor's handwriting apply to computers too?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I think so. I've seen many horrible emails from medical doctors at my previous job. Having studied medicine doesn't automatically mean you have a good grasp of grammar, syntax or orthography.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.