And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 10:25:49 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 09:55:53 AM
I was watching a British show call Cowboy Builders on HGTV, it's from channel 5 iirc. Anyway, the show is about bad contractors(cowboys :rolleyes:) ripping off people. Standard fare. What seems so weird to me, is the Brits way to build houses.

a) No wood. They don't seem to use wood at all. Everywall seems to be in Bricks and every beam in steel. Seems very wastefull & overthe top to me. Especially for the south of country.

b) No sheetrock. Do they really plaster everything?

It's so weird. It feels so alien. I feel like Tyr.

We live in a country with extensive forests.  Brits do not.

That's true but we are the ones living with cold winters. All they get is a little of rain & they build wall with a foot deep of isolation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Also buildings in Britain tend to be pretty densely packed together I believe. So they're more vulnerable to fires.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I got a letter today and the return address had "Alcoholics Anonymous" on it. Thanks, now everyone at work knows. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

I was watching a British show call Cowboy Builders on HGTV, it's from channel 5 iirc. Anyway, the show is about bad contractors(cowboys :rolleyes:) ripping off people. Standard fare. What seems so weird to me, is the Brits way to build houses.

a) No wood. They don't seem to use wood at all. Everywall seems to be in Bricks and every beam in steel. Seems very wastefull & overthe top to me. Especially for the south of country.

Weren't you told the story of the 3 pigsies? If you don't build your house with proper materials the Big Bad Wolf will blow it away.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 10:31:27 AM
That's true but we are the ones living with cold winters. All they get is a little of rain & they build wall with a foot deep of isolation.
I think a lot of the insulation's regulated on new builds to improve energy efficiency.

I've read many times that Britain's building industry is really inefficient and unsustainable because we love bricks and that sort of thing - which is a slow and wasteful form of construction.  But the trouble is that almost everyone wants their house to look like a typical house.  Which means bricks :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

If I was going to build a house I would try and get it made out of brick.

Except that I doubt you'd be able to find a builder who would know how.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2012, 07:48:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2012, 07:40:28 AM
"And why did you leave that position"

"I used city property to bludgeon a coworker."

There are some things you don't volunteer at interviews. This is one of them.

Well it's a natural follow up question as to why I painted him yellow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Josephus on April 18, 2012, 10:37:00 AM
I got a letter today and the return address had "Alcoholics Anonymous" on it. Thanks, now everyone at work knows. :huh:

Quitter.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 11:41:19 AM

On the outside, sure. but for structure? It's like Mono's tower of concrete, pain to renovate.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 12:17:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 11:41:19 AM

On the outside, sure. but for structure? It's like Mono's tower of concrete, pain to renovate.

Absolutely.  My parents used to have a big old brick house built in 1930 - it looked beautiful. :wub:

Grey Fox

I would need to see one in person to judge, I guess.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 12:17:57 PM
It's like Mono's tower of concrete, pain to renovate.

More resistant to tai-fun damage however.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 12:29:54 PM
I would need to see one in person to judge, I guess.

:huh:

I am convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that Montreal has brick houses.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 10:25:49 AM

We live in a country with extensive forests.  Brits do not.

iirc around 4%, which possibly makes us the least or one of the least forested countries in Europe.

Well bricks do suit our climate and it helps the housing stock last a long time, which it needs to.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2012, 11:26:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2012, 10:31:27 AM
I think a lot of the insulation's regulated on new builds to improve energy efficiency.

I've read many times that Britain's building industry is really inefficient and unsustainable because we love bricks and that sort of thing - which is a slow and wasteful form of construction.  But the trouble is that almost everyone wants their house to look like a typical house.  Which means bricks :(
Can't you just do brick veneer?