And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2012, 07:36:27 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 20, 2012, 07:13:27 AM
Yeah, Pete's one of thes "well, if teachers and nurses do it for the love of the job, they really don't need to be paid so much" crowd.

Nurses do it for the love of the job?  :lol:

Do doctors and engineers "deserve" to make double what teachers do? Perhaps not. But then neither do teachers "deserve" to make three or four times what grocery store checkout clerks do. Artificially inflating the cost of one sector of the labor market doesn't create fairness, what it does is create a glut where qualified and willing candidates can't get jobs.

:lol: OK, Ryan Budget Man.

Eddie Teach

I'd say our military tends to be more overpaid than our teachers.  :swiss:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2012, 06:27:59 AM
It seems my grandad is all cancery and is going to die.
Which sucks.

:( :hug:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I love my job.  If I was independently wealthy I'd do it for free - but I'd take a lot more vacations...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 08:56:40 AM
I love my job.  If I was independently wealthy I'd do it for free - but I'd take a lot more vacations...

:console:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2012, 08:13:34 AM
I'd say our military tends to be more overpaid than our teachers.  :swiss:

I think it depends on the state, but agree generally that the military is overpaid.

Unfortunately, cutting military pay is essentially politically impossible.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2012, 09:21:53 AM
It's a terrible job.
Exactly and they're not well paid for it.  Generally, at least in my experience, nurses do it because they want to be nurses.  The caring role matters to them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Well these days in the US nursing is a rather high paying job so you have alot of people going into it for the money.  Not sure if that leads to more competent nursing or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 09:24:43 AM
I think it depends on the state, but agree generally that the military is overpaid.

Unfortunately, cutting military pay is essentially politically impossible.

The military blows money like it is going out of style.  We train fighter pilots, totally worthless in today's military reality, for thousands of dollars a minute of air time.  Heh.  And of course things like hundred dollar hammers and other waste is everywhere.  And cutting any of it is politically impossible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2012, 11:13:08 AM
The military blows money like it is going out of style.  We train fighter pilots, totally worthless in today's military reality, for thousands of dollars a minute of air time.  Heh.  And of course things like hundred dollar hammers and other waste is everywhere.  And cutting any of it is politically impossible.

Disagree.  There's a natural constituency on the left of the spectrum for cutting weapons programs and training and bases and stuff.

But the Democratic party has made such a huge concerted effort to portray themselves as caring as deeply about individual soldiers as Republicans that they can't initiate or vote for a pay cut.

Malthus

How much do people in the military make? My impression was that the pay sucked (but that there were great benefits).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 11:17:50 AM
But the Democratic party has made such a huge concerted effort to portray themselves as caring as deeply about individual soldiers as Republicans that they can't initiate or vote for a pay cut.

The high pay is sort of a mixed bag.  It should make soldiers more resistant to corruption and less likely to be lured away by private contractors and foreign governments.  On the other hand, since alot of the soldiers are young and rather easy marks, it means military towns are just crawling with people trying to take advantage of the military personnel.  The level of debt some of those guys have, despite living on base, is just ridiculous.

I also think, despite there being a constituency for it, it is too dangerous an issue for the Democrats to touch.  The Republicans would hammer them for it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2012, 11:20:18 AM
How much do people in the military make? My impression was that the pay sucked (but that there were great benefits).

I think a captain makes somethig like 140 large if you add in all the allowances and benefits.