And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2012, 02:22:28 AM
Here's your Oblivious Douchebag With a Cell Phone video of the day:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/videogallery/67908340/News/Viral-Video-Baby-Falls-on-Train-Tracks

Speaking Douchebag's with Cell Phones, I was just at a Subway and guy saw me come up to order but was to busy chatting with some guy from another store (this was at a mall), then when the other guy leaves the dude calls someone up on the phone to chat with while he rings me up (there was another employee who made the sandwich).  Then they got in a fight cause the douchebag couldn't understand what the other employee said the order was because he was on the fucking phone.  Then they wanted me to arbitrate the dispute, asking me which one of them said what.  I stood there quietly for a few seconds to let them know I was judging them in awkward silence and finally told them to "Just give me my goddamn sandwich".

I could have handled that better, so what would be the proper Languish way to deal with such a situation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 08, 2012, 11:55:21 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/videogallery/67908340/News/Viral-Video-Baby-Falls-on-Train-Tracks

Speaking Douchebag's with Cell Phones, I was just at a Subway and guy saw me come up to order but was to busy chatting with some guy from another store (this was at a mall), then when the other guy leaves the dude calls someone up on the phone to chat with while he rings me up (there was another employee who made the sandwich).  Then they got in a fight cause the douchebag couldn't understand what the other employee said the order was because he was on the fucking phone.  Then they wanted me to arbitrate the dispute, asking me which one of them said what.  I stood there quietly for a few seconds to let them know I was judging them in awkward silence and finally told them to "Just give me my goddamn sandwich".

I could have handled that better, so what would be the proper Languish way to deal with such a situation.

I think "Just give me my goddamn sandwich" is the perfect Languish response. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 12:02:29 PM
I think "Just give me my goddamn sandwich" is the perfect Languish response. :lol:

:yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Two steps forward, one step back- a poor showing on the newest moon quiz, on the heels of last week's success. In the previous semester tremendous efforts of will ensured I bounded from one success to another, but I feel myself sinking under my own weight into the morass of mediocrity.

As a matter of course, a day of fasting has been proclaimed, but 24 hours without eating lacks the romance of a sweeping, dramatic gesture- at this point, it is nothing but malnutrition.

I do not understand what failing of mine it is that so informs the caprice the moon runes choose to display; surely this lassitude is something within the power of the sacred isles to bestow or take away. I admit I do not understand, but I will study harder.

The Japanese consulate at Nashville is holding a speech contest, open to Tennesseans who wish to attempt to address them in the their mysterious and elegant tongue. I have no real confidence or enthusiasm, and am given pause by the notion of humiliating myself before an audience of distinguished elevens. However, as it cannot be helped, I believe I will submit an application and hope the winds carry enthusiasm from some unknown quarter in my hour of need.

The campus, unseen for so long, looks grey with heavy cloud coverage. The leaves are all gone, and it is cold. I am very, very tired.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 08, 2012, 01:01:52 PM
Two steps forward, one step back- a poor showing on the newest moon quiz, on the heels of last week's success. In the previous semester tremendous efforts of will ensured I bounded from one success to another, but I feel myself sinking under my own weight into the morass of mediocrity.

As a matter of course, a day of fasting has been proclaimed, but 24 hours without eating lacks the romance of a sweeping, dramatic gesture- at this point, it is nothing but malnutrition.

I do not understand what failing of mine it is that so informs the caprice the moon runes choose to display; surely this lassitude is something within the power of the sacred isles to bestow or take away. I admit I do not understand, but I will study harder.

The Japanese consulate at Nashville is holding a speech contest, open to Tennesseans who wish to attempt to address them in the their mysterious and elegant tongue. I have no real confidence or enthusiasm, and am given pause by the notion of humiliating myself before an audience of distinguished elevens. However, as it cannot be helped, I believe I will submit an application and hope the winds carry enthusiasm from some unknown quarter in my hour of need.

The campus, unseen for so long, looks grey with heavy cloud coverage. The leaves are all gone, and it is cold. I am very, very tired.

All this talk of "moon runes" - are you trying to teach yourself Japanese?  If so is there any particular reason you can't actually say so?

Josephus

We're all going on about the guy on the phone. What about the stupid mother who let the pram go off like that?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lettow77

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 01:09:01 PM

All this talk of "moon runes" - are you trying to teach yourself Japanese?  If so is there any particular reason you can't actually say so?

I am in my second semester of Japanese, yes. It's immediately apparent you will never be able to transcribe the moon runes yourself, with the cavalier manner in which you address them.

It is an arcane and ineffable thing to write in moon runes. Do you begin to understand the intricacies and powers at work? It is no simple matter to abandon the roman alphabet and wade into the tripartite script of the sacred isles. One cannot so much study as prepare; your body must be made ready, and your heart must be pure.

I sit directly in front of the three Koreans; as time goes on and my performance suffers, I begin to suspect they are in some way tampering with the atmosphere most conducive to accurately scrying the runes. The hateful enemies of Japan are widely flung and stop at nothing to undermine her from within, from without, and at all points in between. I have not yet found a way to link this gang of three to an attempt to seize Tsushima, but that does not mean they are not insidiously labouring all the while on exactly that account.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 08, 2012, 01:20:38 PM
It is an arcane and ineffable thing to write in moon runes. Do you begin to understand the intricacies and powers at work?

I had a japanese girlfriend for a couple of months in highschool.  Her father was the japanese consul-general.  Funny girl - fully japanese, fluent and born in Japan, but had lived in so many different places she actually spoke english with a bit of a new york accent.   :)

Anyways, I happened to have a hat from a japanese baseball team.  One day I showed it to her - not a big deal to her of course.  I asked her what the Japanese writing on the tag meant. 

She replied - washing instructions.

Arcane and ineffable my ass. :lol:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on February 08, 2012, 01:09:28 PM
We're all going on about the guy on the phone. What about the stupid mother who let the pram go off like that?

That's why I said two douchebags...she didn't appear to be paying much attention either.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2012, 11:00:01 AM
Classic dialogue with an obnoxious colleague today (we have similar "discussions" with her almost every week).

She: "Why are you doing it that way?" (Sarbanes Oxley procedure)

I: "Been doing it for years. In accordance with the head SarbOx guy for Europe."

She: "Do you have that in writing?"

I: "Yep, discussed it in 2009. Have all the emails."

She: "And you believe him?"

I: "He's the head of SarbOx for our region. Kinda comes with the territory. Also passed through half a dozen audits."

She: "Well, I don't know, I wouldn't rely on it."

I: . . . *writes email to SarbOx guru, confirming my understanding*

SarbOx Guy: "Yeah, absolutely correct. Quite a few people in our region have a poor understanding of the process, though."

I: *forward email*

She: *doesn't talk to anyone of the team for rest of day*

This happens regularly. However, she has seniority, and people in general tend to listen more to her than to other team members who actually understand some of our corporate mechanics.

All I heard was "TPS reports."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

You claim it to be somehow less miraculous an event because one of the chosen with a lineage going back for over a millennia was able to execute the ritual effortlessly?

One would expect nothing less of a native daughter of the sacred isles.

However, it is worth noting that the conditions to which she subjected herself to will have all likelihood by now have atrophied severely her birthright. A thousand years is not undone in a lifetime, but her children should no longer be able to commune with the runes without an effort approaching the likes you or I would have to make. She has exposed herself overly much to the defiled world without regard to her blood or good name, and disaster will necessarily attend her house as a result.

garbon

I didn't look but just looked up guys with iphones instead. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 08, 2012, 01:34:48 PM
You claim it to be somehow less miraculous an event because one of the chosen with a lineage going back for over a millennia was able to execute the ritual effortlessly?

One would expect nothing less of a native daughter of the sacred isles.

However, it is worth noting that the conditions to which she subjected herself to will have all likelihood by now have atrophied severely her birthright. A thousand years is not undone in a lifetime, but her children should no longer be able to commune with the runes without an effort approaching the likes you or I would have to make. She has exposed herself overly much to the defiled world without regard to her blood or good name, and disaster will necessarily attend her house as a result.

I'm saying it is not a miraculous event because miraculous events don't involve telling me how to wash my baseball hat. :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 08, 2012, 01:20:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2012, 01:09:01 PM

I am in my second semester of Japanese, yes. It's immediately apparent you will never be able to transcribe the moon runes yourself, with the cavalier manner in which you address them.

It is an arcane and ineffable thing to write in moon runes. Do you begin to understand the intricacies and powers at work? It is no simple matter to abandon the roman alphabet and wade into the tripartite script of the sacred isles. One cannot so much study as prepare; your body must be made ready, and your heart must be pure.

I sit directly in front of the three Koreans; as time goes on and my performance suffers, I begin to suspect they are in some way tampering with the atmosphere most conducive to accurately scrying the runes. The hateful enemies of Japan are widely flung and stop at nothing to undermine her from within, from without, and at all points in between. I have not yet found a way to link this gang of three to an attempt to seize Tsushima, but that does not mean they are not insidiously labouring all the while on exactly that account.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Westerners are so subsumed within the defiled world that most do not recognize miracles when they see them. I am not surprised at your lack of cognizance when it comes to matters high and holy.