News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Capetan Mihali

I love you little naifs running around with submachine guns thinking "my state has castle doctrine i'll never get in trouble with the law" without a clue how absolutely fucking abysmal the county jail is, let alone prison.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Capetan Mihali

Maybe it's not as obvious as I thought, but "life without the possibility of parole" and "life" are different, and both mean you could be "removed from society forever."  :o
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 14, 2011, 09:15:08 PM
I love you little naifs running around with submachine guns thinking "my state has castle doctrine i'll never get in trouble with the law" without a clue how absolutely fucking abysmal the county jail is, let alone prison.

I have rifles, not SMG's. Thank you very much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 14, 2011, 09:18:58 PM

I like guns too, but be prepared to face the possibility of imprisonment if you get charged with even pulling a gun on someone from your own window in a "stand your ground" state.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 09:10:39 PM
So is a paralegal a lawyer who has to jump out of airplanes with the airborne?

Only if they want to get paid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 14, 2011, 09:21:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 14, 2011, 09:18:58 PM

I like guns too, but be prepared to face the possibility of imprisonment if you get charged with even pulling a gun on someone from your own window in a "stand your ground" state.

The key is to wait until they come in.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 09:10:39 PM
So is a paralegal a lawyer who has to jump out of airplanes with the airborne?

No that would contravene several federal aviation codes, so they're only allowed to jump if the aircraft is parked on the airfield flight line.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Don't think the parachute will open before he hits the tarmac.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2011, 09:44:34 PM
Don't think the parachute will open before he hits the tarmac.

No one said they had to be effective; they are after all federal employees.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

theWit is theWeird.  It's like they let some hipster like Spellus design a hotel. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

So I'm watching Butterfield 8 again and by the magic of wikipedia learned that the Laurence Harvey in the film is none other than the father of Domino Harvey portrayed by Keria Knightely. How incestuous! Also Laurence was perhaps a bisexual. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2011, 12:00:28 PM
Up by 4 against Angola in the quarter final, first half almost over.

Handball?

The European Handball Federation is in Vienna and were looking for an accounts payable guy. I considered applying, because I like handball (THW Kiel supporter), and this could be a fun assignment.

I decided against it, because Austrian handball scene is almost non-existant (so any perks you get like free tickets might be useless), and because I figured that such a gig wouldn't really pay all that well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.