News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2011, 05:52:59 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on December 08, 2011, 05:49:18 PMWait, what? Your exams are 100% of your grade?
Yeah.  I've not done an exam in years either :ph34r:

No need to worry it's like riding a bicycle. :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2011, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2011, 05:52:59 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on December 08, 2011, 05:49:18 PMWait, what? Your exams are 100% of your grade?
Yeah.  I've not done an exam in years either :ph34r:

No need to worry it's like riding a bicycle. :unsure:
Hopefully I won't be the Johnny Hoogerland of my year :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
I hated my written law exams. Usually we had five hours time. It took you between 30 to 60 minutes to understand the case and the questions posed, and make a draft of your approach. Then four hours writing like mad to bring this concept into the required formal prose, praying you wouldn't run out of time. :bleeding:
You're a lawyer too! How many do we have? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Supposedly Charlton Heston's gun vault! :punk:

dalesdesigns.net/gv.htm
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 04:05:24 PM
Hey, Mihali, I thought you were a 1L, dude.  But Evidence would suggest not.  Perhaps I was wrong.

Well, in that case, forget what I said about studying.  Law school proper is over anyway.  You've won or lost already.

I did very mediocre my first year, but luckily Harvard did away with real grades a few years ago.  So I just need to hoist myself out of the bottom 8% and into the Pass range that makes up the majority.

I didn't do any firm interviewing in the summer, so I pretty much committed myself to the public defender track I'm on now. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

You. Go. To. Harvard.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA#$^$##THGRYHXESYGR $Wgrfagrg dfsesfegbgsbdfrgfgfagdhtyki$erotiDIE

I mean, congratulations.  Allow me to correct myself.  You've won already.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

I love the Swedish system. Fail, pass or distinction. The way things should be. None of this 1st and 2nd bollocks.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 07:30:18 PM
You. Go. To. Harvard.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA#$^$##THGRYHXESYGR $Wgrfagrg dfsesfegbgsbdfrgfgfagdhtyki$erotiDIE

Yeah we already knew this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 07:30:18 PM
You. Go. To. Harvard.

Sorry, you weren't really on the boards much when I was applying, etc., so I wasn't sure if you knew.   :Embarrass:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Ideologue

I was busy. :(

Seriously, I am pleased you are doing well.  Jealousy's kinda stupid.  It doesn't make my life better if you aren't doing great. :hug:  So I am glad you are doing great.  (And you'll be fine in Evidence.  Evidence is reasonably easy.  Granted, I took Evidence from a federal judge who had no time/stomach for reading seventy people's shitty essay answers, so it was multiple choice, and he was a good, to-the-point teacher.)

I think you're doing the right thing, as well.  Even for Harvard dudes, I am made to understand that BigLaw is still 1)somewhat risky and 2)brutal and brutalizing.  You help those people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 08, 2011, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
I hated my written law exams. Usually we had five hours time. It took you between 30 to 60 minutes to understand the case and the questions posed, and make a draft of your approach. Then four hours writing like mad to bring this concept into the required formal prose, praying you wouldn't run out of time. :bleeding:
You're a lawyer too! How many do we have? :unsure:

One's too many.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Apparently, my hometown in Ohio is a hotbed of trainspotting. Or "railfanning". A youtube search for the town returns hundreds of boring-ass videos of trains going by.  :wacko:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
Apparently, my hometown in Ohio is a hotbed of trainspotting. Or "railfanning". A youtube search for the town returns hundreds of boring-ass videos of trains going by.  :wacko:
I don't get that railfan shit.   Dudes like to go to every train crossing out there and watch trains cross it, right?  um.... why? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 07:45:01 PM
  So I am glad you are doing great.

Well, getting into Harvard was nice but didn't make me any saner, and the last year-and-a-half has probably aggravated my mental state much worse than it was this time 2009, which wasn't that great to begin with...