News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2011, 09:32:57 PM
Well, getting into Harvard was nice but didn't make me any saner, and the last year-and-a-half has probably aggravated my mental state much worse than it was this time 2009, which wasn't that great to begin with...

Mental state is overrated.  Self-medicate like the rest of us.

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2011, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 07:45:01 PM
  So I am glad you are doing great.

Well, getting into Harvard was nice but didn't make me any saner, and the last year-and-a-half has probably aggravated my mental state much worse than it was this time 2009, which wasn't that great to begin with...

I'm still proud of you.

You'll be okay.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 10:18:27 PM
I'm still proud of you.

You'll be okay.

Well, regardless, I'll be in Charlotte, N.C. from May to August 2012, and we should find the time to sink a few bags of Reese's if you're still in Columbia (and dry).   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2011, 08:26:31 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
Apparently, my hometown in Ohio is a hotbed of trainspotting. Or "railfanning". A youtube search for the town returns hundreds of boring-ass videos of trains going by.  :wacko:
I don't get that railfan shit.   Dudes like to go to every train crossing out there and watch trains cross it, right?  um.... why? :hmm:
Trains are cool.
Though they do take it way too far, their obsession with exact details is disturbing. And I just really don't get those train sim games.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Diaper manufacturers rejoice!  Mrs. Valmy is preggo again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2011, 12:06:00 AM

Woohoo!

:yeah:

What's the due date?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Congrats! :hug:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2011, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
I hated my written law exams. Usually we had five hours time. It took you between 30 to 60 minutes to understand the case and the questions posed, and make a draft of your approach. Then four hours writing like mad to bring this concept into the required formal prose, praying you wouldn't run out of time. :bleeding:

Five hour exams? Harsh. Ours were usually two or three.

Yeah, but a lot of it was public service procedural with which you spent one hour. Also, a lot of it was owed to the stilted prose formally required:
- Name the paragraphs in questions
- go through the prerequisites of the paragraph and define them, one by one
- examine whether the prerequisites are met
- decide whether the paragraph is appliccable or not
Move on.

The least popular exams in administrative law were usually: Third party contractor does something for a public body. Something goes wrong and another party is damaged. Case question would invariably be: "Examine all possible claims."

I greatly preferred welfare law; though a year after I graduated, this was completely rewritten by German legislature.

Our non-law exams were piffle. They were usually scheduled for three hours, and it felt weird to walk out after an hour of, say, outlining a workflow for a given task with a number of built in dependencies and some basic decision tables and receive an A+.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

:cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zoupa

Damn, good for you man  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2011, 08:26:31 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 08, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
Apparently, my hometown in Ohio is a hotbed of trainspotting. Or "railfanning". A youtube search for the town returns hundreds of boring-ass videos of trains going by.  :wacko:
I don't get that railfan shit.   Dudes like to go to every train crossing out there and watch trains cross it, right?  um.... why? :hmm:

Yeah, gotten way more than my fill doing that from my car.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Why is Trainspotting called Trainspotting?  I've only ever seen the movie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Applying to Teach for America.

The GPA on the app is a little pull-down menu.  Looks like this:

QuoteGPA
Select one
3.8 and above
3.4-3.7
3.0-3.3
2.8-3.0
2.5-2.9
2.49 and below

Does anyone notice anything... missing?  Like, perhaps an infinite number of things missing?

Maybe these retards should go back to school themselves.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Just round it to the nearest tenth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?