News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 10:56:30 AM
P.S. what kind of retarded employment applications do they have in Canada?
As in welfare? or like for jobs?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

For fans of Tool:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Weird+World&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

Quote#7.
Tool's Epic Do-It-Yourself Song
+ Share #7

Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one -- it's like Voltron, only with progressive metal songs instead of progressive metal robots (seriously, those guys had a woman pilot before most airlines). But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right?

You can't spell "diVersity" without some of the letters in "Voltron"!

Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days."

Sobriety is optional, but not recommended.

If that sounds too complicated for you, check out this demonstration at YouTube-Doubler. You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." That demonstration doesn't include "Wings for Marie", though, which has the most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.

The band has never acknowledged any of this, but if you listen to the full song it's pretty obvious that they did this intentionally ... which is both mind-blowingly awesome and a little bit insane.

Also like Voltron.

The result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzTuPuq53A
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Yay for prog!

I'll have to check it out.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 11:05:34 AM
Well I haven't been hired in the 180 seconds since I started doing it, no.

Obviously you're not lying hard enough.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2011, 01:58:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 11:05:34 AM
Well I haven't been hired in the 180 seconds since I started doing it, no.

Obviously you're not lying hard enough.

Actually, evidently, I did.  They want me for an interview.

Huh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

That instead of going to law school, I was employed (I changed the date from August 2008 to August 2011).

Well, there's also the stretching of the truth about me being a manager at my old employer (technically true, but I was an hourly manager who didn't do much, and didn't do what I was authorized to do very much).

Ugh.  This job sounds like awfulness, too.  Inventory counting.  Pay is definitely less than $10/hr.

I have no idea why I would have moved to Columbia in this alternate timeline.  "Girlfriend" went to "school," I suppose.  Why not?  I doubt there's pussy in counting boxes.  Although it seems very sad to lie about having a girlfriend.  Father had a heart attack?  Moved in with brother to help him pay rent in wake of nasty divorce?  Yeah, that's the ticket.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

If you're looking for shitwork paying <$10, why not sign up with a temp company?

Ed Anger

Oh man, I'd have fun if I was doing background checks on Ide. SO MUCH FUN.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I have.  A legal one for doc review work (which there is not much of in Columbia), and another white collar one (Randstad, for various positions).  No responses so far--although in fairness the one incoming doc review project, I did not become aware of till like the day before it started, and they "preferred previous doc review experience," which is sort of like preferring previous burrito-folding experience at Taco Bell.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 07, 2011, 07:13:35 PM
Oh man, I'd have fun if I was doing background checks on Ide. SO MUCH FUN.

Yeah.  I'd be out a great deal if they caught me, wouldn't I?  The money, the women, the all-night coke jags that come with the high-flying life of an inventory associate.

In any event, this was more in the way of an experiment.  My hypothesis was correct.  Actually, I'd love to run this with a control.
Kinemalogue

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on December 07, 2011, 07:17:25 PM
Yeah.  I'd be out a great deal if they caught me, wouldn't I?  The money, the women, the all-night coke jags that come with the high-flying life of an inventory associate.

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Hey,the stock room at my k-mart back in the day was a pit of booze and boobs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2011, 01:33:43 PM
For fans of Tool:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Weird+World&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

Quote#7.
Tool's Epic Do-It-Yourself Song
+ Share #7

Three separate tracks from the latest Tool album can be assembled into a different one -- it's like Voltron, only with progressive metal songs instead of progressive metal robots (seriously, those guys had a woman pilot before most airlines). But plenty of bands do multi-part songs, so there's nothing special about it, right?

You can't spell "diVersity" without some of the letters in "Voltron"!

Well, the difference is that, in this case, you don't get the full song by doing something as mundane as playing one track after the other -- you get it by changing the order and playing them at the same time.

By themselves, the songs seem completely different: "10,000 Days" (11:13) is a long prog-rock number, "Wings for Marie" (6:11) is a quiet song that builds up into a crescendo, and "Viginti Tres" (5:02) is just a bunch of weird noises. 6:11 plus 5:02 adds up to 11:13 -- that's because you're supposed to put "Viginti Tres" and "Wings for Marie" together (in that order) and play them at the same time as "10,000 Days."

Sobriety is optional, but not recommended.

If that sounds too complicated for you, check out this demonstration at YouTube-Doubler. You'll notice that the weird sounds from "Viginti Tres" seem to be in sync with the melody of "10,000 Days." That demonstration doesn't include "Wings for Marie", though, which has the most impressive part: Near the end, the vocals from both songs alternate almost perfectly, forming completely different lyrics.

The band has never acknowledged any of this, but if you listen to the full song it's pretty obvious that they did this intentionally ... which is both mind-blowingly awesome and a little bit insane.

Also like Voltron.

The result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzTuPuq53A

Sounds interesting.
Or rather it would be if it wasn't tool
██████
██████
██████