News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I hated my written law exams. Usually we had five hours time. It took you between 30 to 60 minutes to understand the case and the questions posed, and make a draft of your approach. Then four hours writing like mad to bring this concept into the required formal prose, praying you wouldn't run out of time. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
I hated my written law exams. Usually we had five hours time. It took you between 30 to 60 minutes to understand the case and the questions posed, and make a draft of your approach. Then four hours writing like mad to bring this concept into the required formal prose, praying you wouldn't run out of time. :bleeding:

Five hour exams? Harsh. Ours were usually two or three.

The worst though were "take home" exams. Those lasted 24 hours - or in one horrible case, 48.  :yuk: They oughtta be classified as cruel and inhuman punishment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I tried the Radiohead OK Computer/In Rainbows thing; it does sort of work and goes together, nothing particularly earth shatteringly amazing though.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2011, 10:08:48 AM

Five hour exams? Harsh. Ours were usually two or three.

It's a metric hour.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2011, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2011, 08:43:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 08, 2011, 01:33:11 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 07, 2011, 11:02:01 PM
I am going to fail Evidence.  :mellow:
Chin up, maybe you did better than you thought? :hug:
I'm being dramatic, I have a few days left.  How do you spend several months doing all the work, feeling good about the principles and applications of the rules, and then.... have absolutely no idea how to answer a question?   :huh:

The same way you answer any law school exam - read the facts, find the issues, and then regurgitate enough law and analysis about the issues as you can manage.

As opposed to the way you should answer a law school exam is write "I am a fish" on it, turn it in, walk into the dean's office, and demand your money back.

Hey, Mihali, I thought you were a 1L, dude.  But Evidence would suggest not.  Perhaps I was wrong.

Well, in that case, forget what I said about studying.  Law school proper is over anyway.  You've won or lost already.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

ulmont

Most of mine were 3 hours, but I had one memorable one that was an...unlimited time in-class exam.  I spent 4, but some people spent 6 hours or more on the thing.

Malthus

Anyone else have the joy of a two-day take-home exam?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2011, 04:31:57 PM
What was it in?

Conflict of laws.

*shudder*

Double-Renvoi, anyone?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

I think I've got seven 3 hour exams over a two week period.  And my final mark is entirely based on them :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2011, 05:01:33 PM
I think I've got seven 3 hour exams over a two week period.  And my final mark is entirely based on them :bleeding: :weep:

Wait, what? Your exams are 100% of your grade?
and the horse you rode in on

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on December 08, 2011, 05:49:18 PMWait, what? Your exams are 100% of your grade?
Yeah.  I've not done an exam in years either :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on December 08, 2011, 05:49:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2011, 05:01:33 PM

Wait, what? Your exams are 100% of your grade?

Same here, 7-9* 3 hour exams in about a two week period carrying something like 97-98% of the marks.

* I forget how many courses it was.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"