News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on October 27, 2011, 02:56:18 PM
"Get off my lawn" has 6.7 million Google hits, "Geh von meinem Rasen runter" has 49, most of which will just be literal translations of the English phrase. So you can say it and it's correct, but people won't get its meaning. Unless somebody is currently standing on your lawn when you say this, you'll just get confused looks.

Besides, while "Geh von meinem Rasen runter" is a correct literal translation, "Verschwinde von meinem Rasen" is probably a more adequate translation in tone and meaning.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I just drove a car for the first time in years. Damn that was surprisingly easy. :s
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Great my dentist isn't available until Tuesday & I have a scheduled appointment on Thursday for the continuation of my treatment anyway. Wonder if I should just drug myself until then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2011, 04:07:22 AM
I just drove a car for the first time in years. Damn that was surprisingly easy. :s

Watch out, Japan!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

I have an expanding interest in one person serving multiple life roles lately. That is to say, someone who is both a friend and a father to one person, or so on.  I guess it takes natural root from my reluctance to meet many people but desire to have the various facets of social interaction fulfilled.

In practice though, it means i'm reading stories about lesbian romance with large age disparities.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2011, 06:30:00 PM
I have an expanding interest in one person serving multiple life roles lately. That is to say, someone who is both a friend and a father to one person, or so on.  I guess it takes natural root from my reluctance to meet many people but desire to have the various facets of social interaction fulfilled.

In practice though, it means i'm reading stories about lesbian romance with large age disparities.

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Goddamn it.  I stepped on my glasses.  I need those.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2011, 06:30:00 PM

Is this the path to the Pure Land?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

It couldn't possibly hurt, I think, what with yuri being the purest form of love and whatnot.

On a related note, i've been reading Yukio Mishima lately, and Spring Snow was a masterpiece. I really wish I could have spoken with him.

edit: the secret about the Pure Land, though, is that it can't be attained, I think. That makes me wonder if the pursuit should be despaired of, or proceed anyhow as a gesture independent of the expectation of success. I incline to the latter, since the first doesn't really leave me with anything.

Admiral Yi

Do your stories involve taco gobbling or is it all sort of symbolic?

Lettow77

:blush: The latter, of course! It all has to be subtextual or its some kind of crime. Unless it is absolutely essential to the plot/something that has been built up to for several volumes, even a kiss should not be shown in favour of a discretion shot to some scenery.  Good examples would be Pieta or Sasameki Koto.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2011, 07:08:46 PM
It couldn't possibly hurt, I think, what with yuri being the purest form of love and whatnot.
No.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

No shit.  It's an anti-competition measure.  That's why female homosexuality is bad, and male homosexuality is good, although the former is admittedly more fun to watch.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Competition for women is a degrading process for all parties. This has been referenced in one of the numerous sonnets I have posted here- it is debasing. Competition and desire are at the heart of suffering that makes this the impure land.

Ideologue

Actually that reminds me, I need to call my sister and ask if she's out to our parents.  My stepmom said something really unpleasant the other day about homosexuals.  She was referring to some group therapy stuff her church does, which involves sexual orientation deprogramming, and she affirmed that she also believed it was a behavior disorder.  Now, this is the sort of thing I find amusing when Neil does it, but less so when it's my stepmom talking about one of the few blood relatives I give a shit about.

I was under the impression my dad knew, since one time I was talking with him about how I never planned on having kids even if the opportunity arose, and he said something to the effect of never expecting grandchildren, at least biological ones.  Also, it's really pretty obvious. :hmm:

I kept my mouth shut at the time, since I didn't want an argument for entirely unrelated reasons, and also because it's not exactly my place (although the closeted are complete moral cowards).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)