And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2011, 08:27:55 AM
No.

True. I'd actually be driven insane if that's all that I had to do each day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I'm signed up for one of those german word of the day e-mails. This morning my inbox had this gem.

Geh von meinem Rasen runter. (Get off my lawn.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Amerikaner! Wehrt Euch! Kauft nicht bei Juden!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2011, 08:30:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2011, 08:27:55 AM
No.

True. I'd actually be driven insane if that's all that I had to do each day.

I probably was driven insane doing a do-nothing job for several years.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2011, 08:37:10 AM
I'm signed up for one of those german word of the day e-mails. This morning my inbox had this gem.

While that's correct German, the phrase isn't really used the same way as in English.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on October 27, 2011, 02:29:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2011, 08:37:10 AM

While that's correct German, the phrase isn't really used the same way as in English.

How so?

Zanza

"Get off my lawn" has 6.7 million Google hits, "Geh von meinem Rasen runter" has 49, most of which will just be literal translations of the English phrase. So you can say it and it's correct, but people won't get its meaning. Unless somebody is currently standing on your lawn when you say this, you'll just get confused looks.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on October 27, 2011, 02:56:18 PM
"Get off my lawn" has 6.7 million Google hits, "Geh von meinem Rasen runter" has 49, most of which will just be literal translations of the English phrase. So you can say it and it's correct, but people won't get its meaning. Unless somebody is currently standing on your lawn when you say this, you'll just get confused looks.

Gotcha. It doesn't have that sort of slang bit that it has acquired in English. :cheers:

Grey Fox

My jaw still hurts like mad. I have self diagnose that I have a case of dry socket. Hopefully the dentist will be able to see me tomorrow (probably not).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I feel your pain. I had a jaw infection that lasted for a month. Pain was worse than my leg break.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2011, 06:33:17 PM
I feel your pain. I had a jaw infection that lasted for a month. Pain was worse than my leg break.

Man does that hurt plus you have trouble eating. Urg.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I'm currently reading the City and the City.
And I am ill.
Damn those fever dreams were horrid mind fucks.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2011, 06:58:02 PM
I'm currently reading the City and the City.
And I am ill.
Damn those fever dreams were horrid mind fucks.

Is that the China Melville one?   That one was weird.  Borges  would have liked it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Yeah, the one with the two cities in the same place.
Quite a cool idea. But...yes, the weirdness messed with my feverish over thinking head.
██████
██████
██████