Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:24:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 06:14:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
I thought it was strange since it didn't follow the usual template.  I was absolutely qualified for the job.  :shrug:

Was the job waiting tables?

Have you ever even had a job?

He's been fired twice for assaulting co-workers.  :menace:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:32:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 06:28:33 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Is there any railroad in the world that makes a profit?

Though I imagine the profit/expense ratio for highways is far worse.

CSX, Norfolk & Southern, I don't know the names of any more...

Ok, so basically only freight rail.

I am sure we're thinking more along the lines of passenger rail.

How does passenger rail significantly improve infrastructure?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Britain privatized their passenger rail.

I'd be interested if anyone has any stats on European or Japanese passenger rail subsidies.  I've never thought about it either way.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2011, 06:34:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:24:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 06:14:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
I thought it was strange since it didn't follow the usual template.  I was absolutely qualified for the job.  :shrug:

Was the job waiting tables?

Have you ever even had a job?

He's been fired twice for assaulting co-workers.  :menace:

They didn't fire me for that, though they were unhappy with the one that happened during working hours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 12:38:17 PM
Just read in Time that the Greek railroad generates $100 million annually in revenue and pays out $400 million in wages. :lol:

Is there any railroad in the world that makes a profit?

Though I imagine the profit/expense ratio for highways is far worse.

The Chinese railway companies are rolling in profit IIRC.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 06:40:10 PM

Britain privatized their passenger rail.

I'd be interested if anyone has any stats on European or Japanese passenger rail subsidies.  I've never thought about it either way.

And it's incredibly expensive. Clean, though.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DGuller

I just read that the Tappan Zee replacement bridge in New York will cost $6 billion, and that was a much reduced price tag after mass transit part of the bridge was scrapped.  WTF?  Does it really cost $6 billion to build a new relatively short bridge?  No wonder our infrastructure is crumbling when it costs the GDP of an African country to build one fucking bridge.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2011, 01:08:08 AM
I just read that the Tappan Zee replacement bridge in New York will cost $6 billion, and that was a much reduced price tag after mass transit part of the bridge was scrapped.  WTF?  Does it really cost $6 billion to build a new relatively short bridge?  No wonder our infrastructure is crumbling when it costs the GDP of an African country to build one fucking bridge.

Depends on where in the US. In the Northeast there appears to be many more corrupt contractors and local governments, giving you crap like the Big Dig.

The I-95/Beltway Springfield project in Virginia was finished on time and on budget, despite being a massive project on some of the busiest roads in the country.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

A big part of it is you're dealing with some of the most expensive real estate in the world over there...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 10:01:19 AM

A big part of it is you're dealing with some of the most expensive real estate in the world over there...
The Tappan Zee bridge isn't in the city or anywhere close to it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 10:13:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 10:01:19 AM

The Tappan Zee bridge isn't in the city or anywhere close to it.

The Tappan Zee bridge location was chosen to be as close to the city as possible but beyond the control of the Port Authority. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 06:40:10 PMBritain privatized their passenger rail.

Germany still subsidizes its national railway company with something like 10 billion Euro per year. The company is actually profitable and uses the money it makes to buy foreign subsidiaries, e.g. Arriva in England, and logistics providers, e.g. Schenker in Germany. The railway company was also protected by regulations. I think there still is a law that bans to operate regular busses on long-distance routes that are also operated by the railway.

MadImmortalMan

If it's profitable why is it subsidized?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 13, 2011, 11:59:52 AM
If it's profitable why is it subsidized?
Positive externalities exist whether the railway is profitable or not.  In the ideal world, subsidy levels should actually be completely independent of the profitability, I would think.