News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just read in Time that the Greek railroad generates $100 million annually in revenue and pays out $400 million in wages. :lol:

Ideologue

QuoteNR      We have not reviewed your qualifications for this specialty and grade. However, we have accepted your   

application and will review it when a job exists which matches your availability and skills.  If upon later     

review we find that you are ineligible, we will notify you.     

Er?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 03:07:56 PM
QuoteNR      We have not reviewed your qualifications for this specialty and grade. However, we have accepted your   

application and will review it when a job exists which matches your availability and skills.  If upon later     

Er?

"Don't call us, we'll call you"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 03:07:56 PM

Er?
It's HR talk for 'Not a chance'.

Sorry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

I thought it was strange since it didn't follow the usual template.  I was absolutely qualified for the job.  :shrug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
I thought it was strange since it didn't follow the usual template.  I was absolutely qualified for the job.  :shrug:

Was the job waiting tables?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

This is the key part:

Quotewill review it when a job exists which matches your availability and skills

Translation:

We threw it on the reject pile, but the person writing you was sparing your feelings.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 12:38:17 PM
Just read in Time that the Greek railroad generates $100 million annually in revenue and pays out $400 million in wages. :lol:

railways are meant to be like that, they're not for making money on their own but  boosting the economy through  bdtter infrastructure.  the greeks aren't too spectacularly  greek on that one.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Leland Stanford disagrees with you.

Along with countless other tycoons who made a fortune on the rails.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2011, 06:14:22 PM

Was the job waiting tables?

Have you ever even had a job?
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2011, 06:20:26 PM
railways are meant to be like that, they're not for making money on their own but  boosting the economy through  bdtter infrastructure.  the greeks aren't too spectacularly  greek on that one.

I don't know if there are a whole lot of countries where the railroads operate with a 75% operating subsidy (and that's not counting non-labor costs).

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 12:38:17 PM

Is there any railroad in the world that makes a profit?

Though I imagine the profit/expense ratio for highways is far worse.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 12, 2011, 06:15:48 PM

This is the key part:

Quotewill review it when a job exists which matches your availability and skills

Translation:

We threw it on the reject pile, but the person writing you was sparing your feelings.

No, I get that.  But it was a government gig, so the notion that they didn't review my qualifications is baffling.  Maybe they changed their (automated) responses, or what have you, but the usual reply is "qualified, but not best qualified" or similar.  An NR is strange.  Perhaps some computer in the OPM is getting tired of reading my applications.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:26:01 PM

CSX, Norfolk & Southern, I don't know the names of any more...

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2011, 06:28:33 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 12, 2011, 06:26:01 PM

CSX, Norfolk & Southern, I don't know the names of any more...

Ok, so basically only freight rail.

I am sure we're thinking more along the lines of passenger rail.